Biter nest sizes in 11.19 experimental release

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Kazuar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Biter nest sizes in 11.19 experimental release

Post by Kazuar »

...so, I have to admit, I took a little "alpha exhaustion" hiatus from the game, so I missed quite a few releases over the last 3 months.

One thing I noticed on my new map was that, despite lowering "enemy frequency" to very low, they still only got nests of about 2 or 3 spawners. Granted, I only run into 2 of their nests so far.

Last time I played, lowering the frequency would create much bigger nests (as it still does with resources - one of the intermediary maps [that spawned no nearby coal for me] had a copper patch the size of a roboports contruction area).

Which leads to my question: Was the "enemy nest" spawing behaviour during map-gen changed in one of the releases I missed, or did I get a map-seed with weirdly coincidental enemy placement?

I'm not at my gaming pc right now, but could share the map-string in question later, if it helps. Meanwhile, any shared insight is welcome, as is the lecturing beratement :D ("how can you not have perfectly intimate knowlegde of undocumented parameters" etc. ;) )
[Note: I'm actually sorry if my posts come off as rude; english is not my native language, and I'm not aware of all it's nuances. Please do point out my misadoptions in tone!]

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: Biter nest sizes in 11.19 experimental release

Post by cube »

IIRC nothing changed in the map generation recently.

Kazuar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kazuar »

Well, thanks for the quick answer :)

Still, I would have sworn the nests used to be bigger. Guess I'll have to investigate further and compare map-strings between versions, then. If I can re-create maps from older versions in 0.11.19 without variance, it means I observed a weird coincedence.

Again, thanks for your time!
[Note: I'm actually sorry if my posts come off as rude; english is not my native language, and I'm not aware of all it's nuances. Please do point out my misadoptions in tone!]

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

I think nests tend to be bigger the farther away you are from spawn. Maybe you are comparing close-by small nests with late-game far away mega-nests?

Kazuar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kazuar »

Nope!

I've generated a few levels in both 11.19 and 11.6, using the same map seed and with matching pairs of map settings.

The answer to this "mystery" is simply that my old maps used to also have the "nest size" set from "medium" to "big".
Shockingly, this created bigger nests. :geek:

I've also noticed this "bigger nests through lower frequency"-effect isn't as pronounced as I've initially thought.
Still, do I feel stupid about making a thread about this now.

Return to “General discussion”