Alt-F4 #15 - Investigating 1.1

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
AlternativeFFFF
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Alt-F4 #15 - Investigating 1.1

Post by AlternativeFFFF »

This week, with 1.1 experimental just released, we take a look at two of the things it brings with it. First, Conor_ investigates what the new train stop limit allows him to do in his TSM-based factory. Then, Therenas explores what the multithreading update to belts means, both in theory and in practice. Careful, you might just learn something!

Continue reading: https://alt-f4.blog/ALTF4-15/

ferblabadub
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Alt-F4 #15 - Investigating 1.1

Post by ferblabadub »

Thanks for the work on the multi-threaded belt logic investigation.

What CPU was this performed with? Is there any indication of performance on low- and high-thread count CPUs, and how well this scales?
Last edited by ferblabadub on Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Therenas
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Alt-F4 #15 - Investigating 1.1

Post by Therenas »

Hi, author here, glad you enjoyed it!

Regarding your question, the measurements were run on a i5-8600k@4.8 GHz, with memory clocked at 2133MHz. I want to emphasize again though that the results are not very precise, and are only intended to show the general trend of the improvements.

Regarding scaling, I don't have any particular results to answer your question. In general though, I think the same heuristic for running Factorio apply. High single core speed is likely king, with memory latency and speed being the bottleneck in most situations, according to the devs. I can imagine that anything more than four cores has a rapidly declining performance advantage. For anything more detailed, you'd need to run further tests with a much more precise testing setup than me just using my PC :p

Return to “General discussion”