I must be blind or stupid...Gates?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Cougarific
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

I must be blind or stupid...Gates?

Post by Cougarific »

I've seen people using Gates in their Walls in multiple Youtube vids - for some reason I can't find/research/unlock them? Experimental branch maybe (if there is such a thing)?

Edit: another question if you don't mind - can you play co-op on the Demo? I'm trying to get my friend to buy this, he has the demo (I own it) - would we be able to play together?

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: I must be blind or stupid...Gates?

Post by MadZuri »

Well, the demo, that explains it. The demo is 0.10.12, gates and tanks an multiplayer were introduced in 0.11. So there you go, go ahead and buy the early access, you'll be glad you did! I love the game so much I upgraded to mining drill operator :) I suppose you could just wait for the next stable demo release, but you'll be behind all the alpha testers.

edit: I just realized that your friend is the one with the demo. So no, he can't play multiplayer with you. It changes often enough that you both need to play on the same version. disregard my previous stupidity. My house mate has been feeding me everclear.

another edit: you can get the experimental downloads by clicking on options - other - enable experimental updates, or manually installing from here.

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

Prerequisite research :
-Wall
-Steel
-Military 2 (and the prior MIlitary 1 obviously)

Btw, did you try to search with google ? "factorio wiki gates"
Top result will give you this link :
https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... itle=Gates

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

waduk wrote:Prerequisite research :
-Wall
-Steel
-Military 2 (and the prior MIlitary 1 obviously)
and most important
- experimental version 0.11.X

Cougarific
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cougarific »

Okay thanks for the help everyone - I opted into the experimental branch last night and found my Gates.

And just to note - I always check the wiki first and it has been helpful on a couple of issues but TBH it's not as user-friendly as I would like. Usually I'm hoping for a more "Factorio for Dummies" approach - most of the info in the wiki is just kind of thrown out there with no real explanations.

e.g. I was looking for info on multiplayer but really basic like Here's How to Play Multiplayer in Factorio: Step 1. blah Step 2. blah blah etc. But the wiki's fairly unspecific: "Anybody can join an existing game, if he knows the IP of the game. He connects to the game..." Okay but how? That's just an example, I'm sure I can figure it out on my own eventually, just wish the wiki was a little more helpful than it is right now.

Piranha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Piranha »

Cougarific
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cougarific »

Yah thank you - I used Evolve for a different game and found it much more complicated than I need personally. Don't need VOIP, don't need matchmaking, don't need a chat room - that's why I'm on Steam - just connect me already. :roll: Hamachi's more my speed, simple & effective. But I imagine that eventually this will be on Steam and we won't need those external programs.

Cougarific
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cougarific »

HA! Another useful Wiki entry - I was wondering when you'd want to use Solid Fuel vs. coal - was so happy when I found this: "When to use solid fuel..."

Not so happy with the rest:
"...Actually hard to say and depends much on the map."

Gee thanks Wiki. :roll:

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadZuri »

Well, are you running out of coal or oil more often? Most people have oil problems, so coal is the better option. After a certain point tho, even all those 0.1 oil pumps (with speed 3 modules installed) will provide you with more than enough oil for plastic and then some. At that point, use coal only for plastic, and solid fuel for power. When this happens changes vastly for each map and play style. Most people never reach that point, and rarely use solid fuel, except as a supplement.

Piranha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Piranha »

Cougarific wrote:Yah thank you - I used Evolve for a different game and found it much more complicated than I need personally. Don't need VOIP, don't need matchmaking, don't need a chat room - that's why I'm on Steam - just connect me already. :roll: Hamachi's more my speed, simple & effective. But I imagine that eventually this will be on Steam and we won't need those external programs.

Yea, I use hamachi also, I usually suggest evolve here because that walkthrough is easy and there are usually people on there looking to play.

I also just portforward my router and skip using all programs :P

It all depends on what you're doing, how much you know, and who you are playing with.

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

In my current game, I have this huge backlog of solid fuel in a gigantic buffer with scores of chests...and have never burned a single cube of it.

So unless you are really super sparse on coal, it's not really necessary.
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

Return to “General discussion”