Reuse, Repurpose, Recycle tips and tricks

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Rjskeet
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Reuse, Repurpose, Recycle tips and tricks

Post by Rjskeet »

Hey guys, Sense 1.0 came out alot of people are starting a fresh save or playing for the first time. What tips and tricks do you use? Do you just put unwanted items in a small box in the corner of your base? Or do you reuse them. Also what is some of the stuff you wish you could recycle?

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Reuse, Repurpose, Recycle tips and tricks

Post by conn11 »

What about storying anything not recyclable in the wrecked spaceship. Provided youe aren't using it as warehouse.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

I tend to build a mall. And I tend to use wiring to control how much gets inserted into the output chest. Later on, when I get bots, I change those chests to Storage Chests, and I filter them to the one specific item. I will also put a bank of 20-30 Storage Chests at the start of the mall, unfiltered, for misc. stuff.

I don’t usually (though its always an option) go from Stone Furnaces to Steel Furnaces, if I need more plate I can simply just make more smelting columns. So I don’t wind up with the ton of those “dead end” items clogging my storage chest bank.

I will set up a Boiler, Steam Generator, and a few Radars with a Storage/Requestor chest for Wood, just to get rid of whatever wood makes its way back to my main factory.

Almost anything else that makes its way back to my factory finds itself in a storage chest; usually at the assembly machine’s output (unless there’s just too dang many of them) but sometimes in the storage chest bank. Its rare in my experience for the storage chest bank to get items that should be deposited by a machine inside the mall; mostly that happens when upgrading belts if the mall’s chest for that belt (yellow, or red) already has a lot of belt in it and not enough room for the newly arriving pieces.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

conn11 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:07 am
What about storying anything not recyclable in the wrecked spaceship.
This is exactly what I do. Its a large pile of junk anyway :lol: (@devs: sorry, I still like it)
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

ostlandr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ostlandr »

I think every Factorio player has a chest(s) with random junk in it. I usually put the first one near the first offshore pump so I can remember where it is. Once you have logi bots, then junk just accumulates all over in random storage chests. (Which reminds me I need to clean out my basement.) :P

There's a "Reverse Factory" mod. It lets you un-craft some things like stone furnaces and burner mining drills. Haven't played around with it much, but some high level/modded items don't recycle.
Rjskeet wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:02 am
Hey guys, Sense 1.0 came out alot of people are starting a fresh save or playing for the first time. What tips and tricks do you use? Do you just put unwanted items in a small box in the corner of your base? Or do you reuse them. Also what is some of the stuff you wish you could recycle?

Theikkru
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Theikkru »

I install dedicated recycling bins on all production lines, so any ingredients or products of manufacture get pushed back to production via the logistics network. I keep 1~4 generic storage boxes just as error detection; if something ends up in them I dun goofed somewhere. Deprecated items (like the pistol, old armor, or burner miners) go in the spaceship.

Fish should count as fuel.

starlinvf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starlinvf »

Wood crate next to the first boiler. Contains exactly 5 burner drills, then gets old armor and a pistol with left over ammo. If only I could pour concrete over it, I'd add 5 stacks of gold coins, and call it my John Wick Stash.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

ostlandr wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:30 am
There's a "Reverse Factory" mod. It lets you un-craft some things like stone furnaces and burner mining drills. Haven't played around with it much, but some high level/modded items don't recycle.
There is the mod Recycling Deconstruction, any deconstruction gives you all ingredients back.

Return to “General discussion”