Six legs good, Eight legs bad!

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Six legs good, Eight legs bad!

Post by ske »

Oh man, that Spidertron is triggering my Arachnophobia hard. I wish there was an option to reduce the number of legs to 6 or 4.

I know there is this mod to hide all legs: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/arachnophobia

But AFAIK you can't use that kind of mod in online multiplayer. Is there another easy way to get rid of some legs or to replace the graphics entirely?

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Six legs good, Eight legs bad!

Post by conn11 »

Or rather seeking something six legged...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Or https://mods.factorio.com/mod/arachnophobia for those who fear legs in any number.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kirazy »

ske wrote: ↑
Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:50 pm
I wish there was an option to reduce the number of legs to 6 or 4.

I know there is this mod to hide all legs: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/arachnophobia
The version of the mod on GitHub has that feature (choose from 2 to 8 legs), but there's some hard-crash bugs related to changing the number of legs when Spidertrons exist in-world. You could download the version from GitHub and use it yourself if you don't want to wait and don't have Spidertrons in your world/save. (They can't be placed, or it will crash.)

dabalciunas
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dabalciunas »

You must be kidding, is this serious?!? :shock:

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

conn11 wrote: ↑
Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:59 pm
:mrgreen: haha, "Insectitron" is a great parody! And it has the correct number of legs.

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

dabalciunas wrote: ↑
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:28 pm
You must be kidding, is this serious?!? :shock:
Yes, some people have a natural fear of anything with eight legs. The brain goes into alarm mode immediately and generates vivid memories to be recalled for more horror later when sleeping (or trying to fall asleep). It is irrational since it's only an image but the reaction is very real.

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

Koub wrote: ↑
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:03 pm
Or https://mods.factorio.com/mod/arachnophobia for those who fear legs in any number.
The question: How can I install this mod on my side client and use it in normal (modless) online multiplayer maps?

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:58 am
conn11 wrote: ↑
Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:59 pm
:mrgreen: haha, "Insectitron" is a great parody! And it has the correct number of legs.
Give it an Lazer shooting tail and the Neobuthus factorio will come to live.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I think you can't. You'll either have to play only with arachnophobes using the same mod, or refrain playing multi in fear of seeing 8 legs on the same creature.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:03 am
Yes, some people have a natural fear of anything with eight legs. The brain goes into alarm mode immediately and generates vivid memories to be recalled for more horror later when sleeping (or trying to fall asleep). It is irrational since it's only an image but the reaction is very real.
Do brains really count legs? Can you avoid reaction by just taking out one pair of legs but keeping spider's distinctive body shape? What about real spider which have lost a pair of legs? Is there a difference between spiders and opiliones? Spidertron's body is much more like opilione's than spider's. Opiliones have no clear border between cephalothorax (a part in which legs, eyes and claws are) and opistosoma (abdomen).

If some player have strong reactions it is good idea to give an alternative shape. However, I like spiders and would like to keep current 8 legged shape and relatively realistic walking animation (especially in straight forward run).

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Hannu wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:45 am
Do brains really count legs? Can you avoid reaction by just taking out one pair of legs but keeping spider's distinctive body shape?
TBH, I'm mildly arachnophobic, but was never bothered by spiders on screen or in games. On the contrary, I find quite reassuring that they are just an on-screen representation, but not actually crawling on my desk.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Do brains really count legs?
The brain can count up to 6 without counting (usually). So, 8 is something more that can be background calculated.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

darkfrei wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:43 am
The brain can count up to 6 without counting (usually). So, 8 is something more that can be background calculated.
Wild guess: the brain freaks out because it only sees "too many". I have also heard of people who show strong reactions to centipedes and millipedes – because of "too many legs".

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

Yes, eight legs trigger 100 times more than six legs. Ten legs is also not so bad. But eight legs, that's just pure evil.

There is evidence that in some people a part of the brain specializes on spider recognition:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn ... ans-brain/
Can you avoid reaction by just taking out one pair of legs but keeping spider's distinctive body shape? What about real spider which have lost a pair of legs?
To be fair, the rest of the spider-esque body is not helping but it's way better with fewer legs. That original design that used long inserters was way less triggering than the current spideresque leg design. I think if the inserters are recognized by the as inserters instead of legs it's not so bad. This may change when it's moving like a spider. The current spider-design is just way too perfect.
Is there a difference between spiders and opiliones? Spidertron's body is much more like opilione's than spider's. Opiliones have no clear border between cephalothorax (a part in which legs, eyes and claws are) and opistosoma (abdomen).
To me, Opiliones are triggering a little bit. But if they have very thin hair-like legs it's way less severe. I can suck them into the vacuum hose - no problemo.

Those spiders with long, thin but not too thin, legs are worst. Shiny legs and hairy legs are bad. Tarantulas with stubby legs seem are less bad than those longer legs of huntsmen. Tarantulas are bad anyways because usually they are big. If they look like they can jump right into your face it's worst. Legs, eyes, claws, shiny, hairy, silky. It all adds up in horror.
If some player have strong reactions it is good idea to give an alternative shape. However, I like spiders and would like to keep current 8 legged shape and relatively realistic walking animation (especially in straight forward run).
I'm all for artistic freedom and I have seen quite a few spiders in my life. Some really close up almost touching. Some crawling/jumping on persons next to me, some on me. Small black widows, huntsmen, tarantulas, bird spiders and many many of the little spiders. It was quite the experience. No need for skydiving to get a thrill. Those images burned right into the back of my skull. Now I try to keep clean. An option to just replace Spidertron graphics with a cardboard box that has two googly eyes on it would be perfect.

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

valneq wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:38 pm
Wild guess: the brain freaks out because it only sees "too many". I have also heard of people who show strong reactions to centipedes and millipedes – because of "too many legs".
For me, peak creepiness is 8 legs. Centipedes are still creepy. Especially with their two extended leg/antenna things. Millipedes have enough legs to become cute again.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Fascinating that spiders appear special to the brain.

lsc9x
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lsc9x »

In order to overcome your fear of spiders, you must become one with the spider!

(That is pretty much exactly how it works in game... just saying...)

ColonelSandersLite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ColonelSandersLite »

This thread asks the wrong question. The thing we really need to know is - Is there an easy way to *INCREASE* the number of legs?

We need Decatrons, Centitrons, Militrons, Infinitrons, and the ultimate tron - The Infini+1tron!

ColonelSandersLite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ColonelSandersLite »

Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:15 pm
valneq wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:38 pm
For me, peak creepiness is 8 legs. Centipedes are still creepy. Especially with their two extended leg/antenna things. Millipedes have enough legs to become cute again.
For me Centipedes are the worst. By far. I think it's because, unlike a millipede, their legs are big enough to be visually distinct but there is a lot of them. I wouldn't go so far as to say that millipedes are cure though.

For spiders, the thing that really gets me is the big bulbous ones. The slender sleek varieties don't really bother me all that much though.

Return to β€œGeneral discussion”