Almost June & 0.5.0

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Almost June & 0.5.0

Post by rk84 »

kovarex wrote:We are pushed by our internal need to finish things, so don't worry, at least we know someone is looking forward to have it.

There will be almost no new gameplay content in the new release. It is mostly performance optimisations, new gui look (this was supposed to take 2-3 days but in fact it took more than 10 days overall and still is not completely finished, but at least the gui is stylable and the style can be modified by mods), bug fixes and graphics for existing pieces (locomotive, splitter, miners), electricity statistics (graphs ...), playability improvements and other small things.

But you know, hundreds of small things take a lot of time, we are going to approach the 5 000 commit mark have already more than 90 000 lines of code in Factorio :)

The order of things is really not random (the reason why we are not adding much gameplay now)
a) We need to redo and restyle the gui now, to save rewriting work as we expand the game
b) We need to do electric statistics now, so the player will have way to inspect what is going on when we extend the electricity (add more powerful and demanding machines etc)
c) We need to finish graphics of existing machines before making new machines, and new machines should always be already with good graphics.
d) We need to touch the performance along the way, as players will always make bigger factory when the performance is better, and when it gets to edge, we get better (bigger) saves to test the performance on.
e) We need to make the usability and gameplay for the existing stuff better, as it is always better to have less things usable than lot of stuff.

P.S. We have been discussing enemies today, and the next update 0.6 should have some first touch of the enemies.

P.P.S. Here is the preview of the network graph gui (and some miners in the background).
Wooh! I like it it.

Electric statistics have energy consumption on left side and energy production on right side?
Accumulator providing and storing power at same time... ah they just switched energy flow during that 1 min range.

Will you have party at 100k lines? :lol:
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]Fluid handling expansion
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express
Autofill: The torch has been pass to Nexela

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

rk84 wrote: Electric statistics have energy consumption on left side and energy production on right side?
Thanks, you just helped me to find good names for the titles (input/output was quite misleading) :)

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by rk84 »

kovarex wrote:
rk84 wrote: Electric statistics have energy consumption on left side and energy production on right side?
Thanks, you just helped me to find good names for the titles (input/output was quite misleading) :)
Nice :)
I wonder though, if accumulators could be seperated on top right corner. Showing total stored energy and energy flow to accumulators (+ sign in and - sign out)
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]Fluid handling expansion
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express
Autofill: The torch has been pass to Nexela

Candunc
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Candunc »

An energy chart would be awesome, I'd like to see where all my power goes.

Will you be releasing it on Thursday again? It would be nice to have a new developmental build the first Thursday of every month.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Candunc wrote: Will you be releasing it on Thursday again? It would be nice to have a new developmental build the first Thursday of every month.
We don't live in the world of met deadlines, so I don't think they'll ever be able to tell in advance AND be happy about the release AND sleep quality at the same time.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Yes the 0.5.0 release is expected to be on Thursday in the evening.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

I am glad to hear that the flood has little to no impact on you.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

We are on the hill=) More specifically Letna.

Return to “General discussion”