Spidotron and Vehicle feature in general

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Kostriktor
Inserter
Inserter

Spidotron and Vehicle feature in general

Post by Kostriktor »

hi amazings !
i hope this Spidotron-release is only the beginning to vehicular-rework for Factorio.
of course we can top satisfactory with ease, now that we have this remote-thing implemented, we can setup automatisation for our vehicles.
still waiting for the truck-release then ; )
and also vehicles rebalancing; car needs to be faster, tank needs to be tankier.
another great feature would be, several classes of vehicles, depending on their engine.
i yes want a car that runs on wood, but i also want one that runs on gas.
refinery-tower anybody ?

but most of all; i hope for mouse-steering

love you Devs ! keep it up

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Spidotron and Vehicle feature in general

Post by valneq »

Have you tried the vehicles from AAI? They have a couple of amazing features :-)

Szpak
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Szpak »

Kostriktor wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:38 pm
i hope for mouse-steering
As an option, fine. But personally I would never use it. Factorio isn't RTS game. Player isn't some "god" who commands his units to move/ do things. In factorio player is a single guy. And if he drives a vehicle he must steer by himself. Obviously it is just my personal opinion.

Kostriktor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kostriktor »

so you are saying that... steering by mouse... isnt steering ?

lsc9x
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lsc9x »

Just my 2 cents: I've been playing on and off since the 0.16 update, and I think the Spidertron is the best vehicle in the game. You can't steamroll things like you can with the tank, but:

1) Immune to trains (I tried every way I could to get hit by a train because of course that's the first thing you do when you get a new toy is to figure out a way to destroy it.)
2) Walks OVER buildings meaning you can now run around your base without having to worry about getting caught on oil pipes or a row of boilers.
3) 4 rocket launchers
4) Ton of storage space
2*) Can walk over water to close islands
5) WASD works the same as the character

As for the other 2 vehicles, the thing I don't like is the steering. I think all 3 of the vehicles should move the same way the character does for consistency, but that's just my opinion.

The new atomic bomb and the Spidertron were worth the wait for the 1.0 release, imo.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

lsc9x wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:16 pm
[…] worry about getting caught on oil pipes or a row of boilers.
You know that you can walk in between two boilers, right? And since they reduced the hitbox of steam engines, you can also walk in between two steam engines (along the long side, not the short side where they connect). There is no more getting caught on a row of boilers.
Just saying.

lsc9x
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lsc9x »

valneq wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:16 pm
lsc9x wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:16 pm
[…] worry about getting caught on oil pipes or a row of boilers.
You know that you can walk in between two boilers, right? And since they reduced the hitbox of steam engines, you can also walk in between two steam engines (along the long side, not the short side where they connect). There is no more getting caught on a row of boilers.
Just saying.
If you have seen any of my bases, you'll know why I have problems with clutter! ;) It's less to do with boiler hit boxes and a lot more to do with where I placed pipes, machines, and chemical plants etc. I'm still getting stuck between two heat exchangers, maybe I should bug report it...

Blaine-O
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Blaine-O »

The issue is that there's just not much need for additional vehicles in Factorio; what little need there is, is already VERY handsomely supplied by mods like AAI Vehicles.

The car is fast, maneuverable, and gets you around; the tank is tough and can fight, but it's sluggish and slow; the Spidertron... well, the Spidertron speaks for itself.

There aren't many niches left to fill that haven't already been filled by modders. Need a hauler with a big cargo inventory? There is one. A tracked turret? That exists, too. Mining machine? Been done. Laser tank? Laser tank. Even these are mostly just fun for a little while, best used as decoration around base structures.

The one vehicle I'd really like to see is a big hovering sand barge that everyone can walk around on, armed with multiple turrets, like Jabba the Hutt's barge from Star Wars. There are a few giant crawlers vehicles sort of the like the Jawa sandcrawlers, but no hover barge.

Return to “General discussion”