What happens after 1.0 release?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: What happens after 1.0 release?

Post by Jap2.0 »

Krazykrl wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:48 pm
Belts are practically the only linkages anyhow, and building layered spaghetti would be absurd.
In a good way?
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Durentis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Durentis »

Jap2.0 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:45 am
Krazykrl wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:48 pm
Belts are practically the only linkages anyhow, and building layered spaghetti would be absurd.
In a good way?
Or like Trefunge-98 with forking instruction pointers?

bluerock
Inserter
Inserter

Post by bluerock »

For a long time I suspected that the devs were holding out implementing squeak through in the base game (intentionally keeping it a little difficult to navigate pipes and forests) due to a planned secret reveal of a 'Spidertron'. Or 'Scorpiotron' in the likeness of Neobuthus factorio. I would be really surprised now if that actually happened. But would be cool if it was at least considered a a DLC add-on at some point after release.

tk0421
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tk0421 »

ssilk wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:19 am
Why only one layer above and below?
I always think to Rollercoaster Tycoon 2. Factorio and RCT2 share many similarities but RCT2 did some things better:
- isometric angle of view
- genius ways to build landscape
- genius ways to build tracks and coasters.

Building 90 or 45 degrees rocks and place stuff on it.

Building underground. Quite irritating when you lose track where your are.

Real 3D? Like Minecraft? Well I don’t think so. Factorio is more like a puzzle game, like RCT2. Minecraft isn’t (in my opinion).

Not saying this must be in Factorio 2. But how cool would it be to
- use isometric view: you can see more, make higher buildings, blend out buildings in front
- complex landscape layouts
- build belts over cliffs/hills
- have bridges, tunnels
- use strategic advantages of height
- have flowing water/lack of water
- explore and build underground caves and mines
- build elevators for lores/trains into underground
- build more complex factories by building above existing parts

It’s clear, that this means to rewrite Factorio nearly from scratch. Too much of the current gameplay depends on being 2D.

P.S.:
- to have visitors (up to 100000) that pay for riding a belt
- having a fish Imbiss (Fish farms, fish industry)
- need to have toilets (needs water and water cleaning)
- cleaning robots to suck up all of the puke from the visitors
- achievements for the most beautiful factory in the world
- having a train with a looping
:?
I think I might have just had a mini-stroke trying to think about multi-layer factorio. but in a good way.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

ssilk wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:19 am

- to have visitors (up to 100000) that pay for riding a belt
If I think typical visitors who show interest on my base, 100000 of them cause shivers in my spine. I hesitate replacing machine gun turrets with ticket kiosk.

ostlandr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

What next after Factorio?

Post by ostlandr »

Now that 1.0 is out, hopefully the Devs can relax a little.

If they're looking for a new game to develop, I'd like to make a suggestion: Trains.

I know a lot of folks really enjoy building elaborate train networks in Factorio, myself included. I'm thinking of a game that would use the Factorio engine, where villages, towns and cities spawn on a dynamically generated map, along with the resources they demand. The player would need to build railroads to connect cities and and resources to each other, and process the resources into products the towns demand. Higher level industries could be unlocked later in the game, maybe based on era.

In the spirit of Factorio, I'm thinking that the player would need to supply the industries with the resources to build the rail infrastructure, like wood --> railroad ties and iron + coal --> iron rails. Advanced tech would require research, like steel rails and higher pressure boilers. Locomotives and cars would require components, like in the Yuoki Industries Railroads mod. These might require different factories, like a foundry for cast parts, a rolling mill for iron plates, etc. These could be similar to Assemblers- use as much of the existing Factorio code as possible. For example, a rolling mill might require pig iron to produce iron plates, which have to go to a second rolling mill to become iron rails. The pig iron could come from a smelter requiring iron ore + coal. Wheels could come from a foundry that requires pig iron + coal + sand. Level 1 boilers might need iron plates + rivets, etc. I'm seeing a few little iron works and smithys evolving into huge steel mill complexes feeding huge factories. Could even borrow from the Factorissimo mod and have small assemblers built inside factory buildings churning out small parts like rivets, bolts, boiler tubes, etc.

The original Sid Meyer's Railroad Tycoon did some amazing things back in 1993. For example, even though it was a top-down 2D game, It used a numerical value for the elevation of each tile. The grade of the track was dependent on the height difference. You could even build tunnels under hills and mountains, and I bet the Factorio devs could figure out how to implement bridges/trestles to do the same to build over valleys.

The player might even start out pre-railroad, and would need to build a transport network with horse-drawn vehicles to be able to unlock railroad technology and gather the resources and cash needed to build the first locomotive. That opens up the whole idea of an OpenTTD style transport game rather than just a train game. OpenTTD could be a source of inspiration and info, considering all the years of effort volunteer devs have put into turning a 1995 game into something people still play today.

Okay, I won't bore folks any more. If the Devs are interested, I'd be more than happy to expand greatly on this post and help with development in any way I can. I don't code, unfortunately, but I am somewhat of a railroad and steam power geek who's been playing every railroad game I could get my hands on since 1993. :geek:

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older topic on the same subject.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

suprnova74
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: What next after Factorio?

Post by suprnova74 »

ostlandr wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:53 pm
Now that 1.0 is out, hopefully the Devs can relax a little.

If they're looking for a new game to develop, I'd like to make a suggestion: Trains.

Okay, I won't bore folks any more. If the Devs are interested, I'd be more than happy to expand greatly on this post and help with development in any way I can. I don't code, unfortunately, but I am somewhat of a railroad and steam power geek who's been playing every railroad game I could get my hands on since 1993. :geek:
As you were describing this, my first thought was an OLD game--- A-Train

SMARTGAMER
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Next Game

Post by SMARTGAMER »

I am just wondering if you guys have plans to develop a new game now that Factorio is now pretty much finished.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into the "what's next after 1.0" thread.

Kater-Pult
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kater-Pult »

ostlandr wrote:

I know a lot of folks really enjoy building elaborate train networks in Factorio, myself included. I'm thinking of a game that would use the Factorio engine, where villages, towns and cities spawn on a dynamically generated map, along with the resources they demand. The player would need to build railroads to connect cities and and resources to each other, and process the resources into products the towns demand. Higher level industries could be unlocked later in the game, maybe based on era.
Sounds kinda like Mashinky, ever heard of it ?

ostlandr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ostlandr »

Kater-Pult wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:32 am
ostlandr wrote:

Sounds kinda like Mashinky, ever heard of it ?
Yep, have heard of it, YouTuber Katherine of Sky has played it. I wasn't impressed enough to buy it as it was still in early release. Need to check it out again.

kkrasnov
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kkrasnov »

Will be release with all translated text? For example, in russia not translated text with spidertron.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

kkrasnov wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:39 pm
Will be release with all translated text? For example, in russia not translated text with spidertron.
That's the plan.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

kkrasnov wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:39 pm
For example, in russia not translated text with spidertron.
That is in fact the case for all languages. The next version will have improved translations. You can see the updated translations here:
https://crowdin.com/translate/factorio/ ... spidertron
The translations listed on top are going to be included in the next release.

Return to “General discussion”