Give Up???

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Dvalencia44
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Give Up???

Post by Dvalencia44 »

Hi, I just started playing factorio, and I am around 15 hours in my first run but I feel so frustrated that I am always running low in basic supplies and my factorio is somewhat efficient but I always need to be there to take the extra materials from the belts. (With the time I know that I will get better and more knowledgeable) but is it a good idea for me to start over? So, I can use the knowledge and experience and apply it in a new map?? or do I stay in the same map??

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Give Up???

Post by Koub »

It's a matter of preference. You *can* restart to get it right from start on your next try.
Or you can keep the same map and refactor all your factory, which won't cost you much save time.
Or you can keep your bootstrap factory and build a better factory next to it : your starting factory will provide you the resources to do so.
The most important is that you keep having fun playing, so whatever floats your boat.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

If you can get to blue science and research Construction Robotics, rebuilding your base in the same map becomes very easy.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Dvalencia44 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:40 am
Hi, I just started playing factorio, and I am around 15 hours in my first run but I feel so frustrated that I am always running low in basic supplies and my factorio is somewhat efficient but I always need to be there to take the extra materials from the belts. (With the time I know that I will get better and more knowledgeable) but is it a good idea for me to start over? So, I can use the knowledge and experience and apply it in a new map?? or do I stay in the same map??
Why do you feel the need to “take the extra materials from the belts?”

If you are running low on stuff for yourself, simply put an inserter down and have it feed a chest. Slot lock that chest (click on that red X and move it up so you only have a few slots left open) and you won’t draw too much from the factory for your own personal use. Do that for all the things that you are drawing off of belts. Or, simply do that at the machine making the things you are taking off of belts. That way the items you are using are not sent down the belt in the first place.

If you are afraid that the stuff backing up on belts is a problem, don’t be. Its not a problem. If anything its a good thing to have belts backing up. It means that when demand increases, you have materials on hand (err, on belt) for those machines for a bit.

Remember, this is a game about automation. When in doubt, automate its production. If its for your own use, or for later use by more machines, when in doubt, automate it. You should not be hand crafting a lot after you finish the early game, only picking stuff out of machines and boxes and setting stuff up for further production.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

In the early game you need to run along belts a few times to pick up stuff. But it doesn't take long to automate some things. For example red science needs gear wheels. So you have an assembler there already. Put a box down for your own personal use. You could also have an extra gear wheel assembler just for you.
Green science needs green circuits, inserters and transport belts. So again you can put down some boxes for personal use.

If you have those intermediate materials on hand you can still handcraft some lower volume things. But it doesn't take ages that way as you don't have to wait for green circuits to craft for example, which needs copper cable

You can also start your proper factory with a "make everything" area where you produce all stuff you need for building your factory. Getting this down to something good takes a lot of practice though.

For example here are belts, inserters and assembly machines. All stuff you need lots of. You feed everything through boxes. That way they can supply each other and you.
make everything
This is a high end version with logistics chests, blue belts and some modules, but this works just as well with regular boxes and lower end machines. You just go from box to box to pick up stuff. Yours don't have to be this fancy to start with. The belt factory can stand on its own for example. Inserters can also be done linerarily as you don't need many filter inserters anyways

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

EDIT to add: Don't restart from scratch unless you're having trouble keeping up with the Biters. And then you should restart with biter settings turned down so you have more time to get and keep ahead of them. You can ALWAYS extend and make your factory bigger somewhere else, unless it's constantly getting destroyed. Ideally, you won't need to restart until you've won

That way when you do restart it'll be like playing a game in New Game Plus, only your character isn't any better at the game. You are.

Original post:

I find it useful to, every time I need to make more than a handful of something (or after the handfulth time I need to make a handful of something), to immediately stop what I'm doing and find a way to make that item automatically. Basically, I create an area of my base where the factory is making the things I tend to hand-craft, so when I want 800 belts or 50 assemblers or 200 furnaces, I don't have to run around gathering resources, then wait for my person to make all the stuff. I just run to a box and collect that item.

Like others have said, limit production by filtering the boxes or setting up simple circuits to disable an inserter when the number of belts in the box gets over 1000 or whatever.

BTW I'm not the first to come up with these ides by a long shot. The common term for the area in the base devoted to making stuff specifically so you can craft it, is called the Mall.

If you like watching Let's Plays, I invite you to watch mine that is currently in progress. It targets beginners and my ultimate goal is to discuss every single aspect of the game before launching the rocket. I have most of an episode (and parts of most episodes after it) devoted to the concept of a mall.

Factorio For Beginners on YouTube

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ranger_Aurelien »

5thHorseman wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:37 am
That way when you do restart it'll be like playing a game in New Game Plus, only your character isn't any better at the game. You are.
Ah, but you /do/ bring blueprints over...
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

If you begin a new game you can certainly build a factory with better structure. But I have nice memories from my first spaghetti base. I built new parts next to old one and did not care about mess. I also do not watch game videos before I complete my first game. In my opinion it spoils the game and joy of learning.
Even now I usually have old and new parts in my base and at some point I build completely new one. It is not necessary to begin new game and play somewhat tedious first hours again and again. Map is infinite and area is very cheap on default biter settings.

Return to “General discussion”