finally built first silo!

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
lupinehorror
Inserter
Inserter

finally built first silo!

Post by lupinehorror »

only to find that the actual rocket is still much assembling away... :shock:

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: finally built first silo!

Post by Serenity »

Put productivity modules into the silo. That drastically cuts down on the materials you need for the rocket parts. It increases the assembly time even further though

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

It is true that the tooltip for the rocket part could (should?) mention that you need to craft 100 rocket parts to have a complete rocket. Thus, you can see this already before researching the rocket silo tech – by just checking what it unlocks.

lupinehorror
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lupinehorror »

Serenity wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:01 pm
Put productivity modules into the silo. That drastically cuts down on the materials you need for the rocket parts. It increases the assembly time even further though
cheers. appreciate the tip. went with speed modules first but will get some of the productivity versions on the go.

lupinehorror
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lupinehorror »

valneq wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:01 pm
It is true that the tooltip for the rocket part could (should?) mention that you need to craft 100 rocket parts to have a complete rocket. Thus, you can see this already before researching the rocket silo tech – by just checking what it unlocks.
yeah it took the wind out of my sails a bit...already had the countdown to lift off going in my head until the 1% complete appeared.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

You can put some beacons with speed modules around the silo to get things up to 100% speed again. That's the usual way to do things

One rocket launch with a satellite costs around 100,000 copper ore and 57,000 iron ore without any modules anywhere. So even only putting PM3 into the silo cuts that by 40%

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

40% Productivity does NOT mean a 40% reduction in required resources for a given output.

It means that you get 40% more product for a given amount of input. For every 1 product, you get 1 4/10 of a product. 2 product cycles, you get 2 8/10. 3 products cycles, 3 12/10 (aka 4 2/10) products. 4 product cycles, 4 16/10 (aka 5 6/10) products. 5 cycles, 5 20/10 products (aka 7 products).

7 is 140% times 5, so this makes sense.

What this means, is to produce all 100 percentage points of the rocket, you only need to supply the silo with 5/7 of the materials, or about 72%. That 40% Productivity translates to a roughly 28% materials savings in terms of parts per rocket.

Speed Beacons simply reduce the time spent per cycle.

lupinehorror
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lupinehorror »

all very useful and interesting. i appreciate you folks taking the time to reply. will be sharing this with my co-factory worker.

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ranger_Aurelien »

lupinehorror wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:03 pm
cheers. appreciate the tip. went with speed modules first but will get some of the productivity versions on the go.
There are ways to get both benefits (20 beacons below*).

BTW, do not forget to add build a satellite to put in the rocket for the "win" condition...

* (I'm sure many people have calculated more optimal ways to use them; here is but one)
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Ranger_Aurelien wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:13 pm
BTW, do not forget to add build a satellite to put in the rocket for the "win" condition...
There is no need to add a satellite to trigger the win condition any more. The satellite is only required, if you want to get space science out of a rocket launch. I believe this was changed with 0.17.0 or even earlier.

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ranger_Aurelien »

valneq wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:19 pm
There is no need to add a satellite to trigger the win condition any more. The satellite is only required, if you want to get space science out of a rocket launch. I believe this was changed with 0.17.0 or even earlier.
mea culpa! I had even posted this two weeks ago:

https://wiki.factorio.com/Version_history/0.17.0#0.17.0
"The game is won by launching a rocket, the Satellite is only for getting Space science packs."
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

astroshak wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:15 pm
What this means, is to produce all 100 percentage points of the rocket, you only need to supply the silo with 5/7 of the materials, or about 72%. That 40% Productivity translates to a roughly 28% materials savings in terms of parts per rocket.
But it's 28% material savings for each step of the way. So the copper wire gets 28% cheaper, then the green circuits get 28% cheaper, then the red circuits get 28% cheaper, etc. etc. then the research at the very end gets 28% cheaper. It all multiplies together to create a massive resource boost overall and there's no secret that it's very powerful.

Even the simple productivity 1 module finds value in speed runs as it pays off extremely quickly inside a research lab. The overall metric of productivity value is how many resources flow through the facility. +10% of a lot is more than +10% of a little. Research and the rocket pad consume resources the fastest, making them solid first picks.

lupinehorror
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lupinehorror »

first rocket is complete along with a satellite (actually 3 satallites) and plenty of resources for starting the next one. launch will be happening tomorrow (when my cohort and i are both online at the same time). thanks for all your tips.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

bobucles wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:45 am
astroshak wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:15 pm
But it's 28% material savings for each step of the way. So the copper wire gets 28% cheaper, then the green circuits get 28% cheaper, then the red circuits get 28% cheaper, etc. etc. then the research at the very end gets 28% cheaper. It all multiplies together to create a massive resource boost overall and there's no secret that it's very powerful.

Even the simple productivity 1 module finds value in speed runs as it pays off extremely quickly inside a research lab. The overall metric of productivity value is how many resources flow through the facility. +10% of a lot is more than +10% of a little. Research and the rocket pad consume resources the fastest, making them solid first picks.
Which is why I specifically spoke of the Rocket Silo, and the parts that must be fed into it.

That said, someone did some calculations to see the payoffs for using modules ... takes a while for the payoff to be seen for copper wire. https://factoriocheatsheet.com/#product ... le-payoffs

Return to “General discussion”