About the war / objectives

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
c13303
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

About the war / objectives

Post by c13303 »

Okay, I did some 20 hours play, and didn't get to work all features so far ( ... can't really understand wires, and trains ;-) ) BUT I think I'm pretty used to game mechanisms and goals ...

Maybe I'm missing some stuff but the alien ennemy aspect is very interesting to me, and underrated.

I must tell defense is really fun (creating walls and automated reloading tourettes) but attack is really boring - maybe I'm missing something ? I basically come with a rocket launcher and shoot ...

But focus on defense should be enough to be fun. Problem is defense is quite easy so far - which is not a bad thing since construction is the main interest, having things destroyed is really depressing - BUT at some point it gets really repetitive to get rid of enemies. Or even pointless because you got a good defense system.

I don't know how it works exactly - the more you are technologically advanced the more aliens attacks you ? - there is something good in there (having good enough defenses when they attack) but each game I reach a point of losing interest because I got the most powerful weapons and I know I don't fear anything.

My idea is quite simple and basic but I'm thinking about having more powerful enemies to defeat and then require the most advanced technologies to make it.

Actually I had the same frustrating problem with minecraft : at some point, you master the game and even if you would like to do more, the challenged is really reduced and then interest too.

Not to waste the players patience to construct (I mean : I hate timers, I really enjoy having all the time I want), powerful enemies should be triggered by some events (destroy 4 aliens camps or something)

Do you see what I mean ? I feel like you already thought about this, and I just hope it's not already in the game and I didn't get it :-) But 20 hours game is already a lot for me - but the good thing is that I'm still asking for more !!! YEAH !!

It's just a clumsy suggestion, so I would like to get your idea about it - I should learn more about the game :-)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: About the war / objectives

Post by kovarex »

Hello, I have to agree with most of your objections.
Please, keep in mind, that the current "enemies" are just a placeholder, now we are concentrating on other stuff (core of the game), but we will dedicate time to make this aspect of the game more enjoyable and integrated.

Some basic ideas can be found here
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... hp?f=9&t=8

DexterNemrod
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DexterNemrod »

Regarding attacking ...
the spawners guarded by normal towers are rather simple to defeat, right ....
but if you wander a certain distance south (also is valid for wandering north I assume) of the map equator, you might find spawners guarded by rocket towers.

Regarding attacks (in their current form) ...
AFAIK the attacks are simply activated via a timer (i.e. after they start, you get attacks all x (which may be randomized) time units.
And AFAIK also the attack size just increases with time (and isn´t dependant on the size/preparation of your own factories/defenses ...
with other words, if you neglect research into defenses (or the buildup of them) it might well happen that, at one time, you get swarmed so bad,
that any resistance is futile
I am not sure how the number of waves is determined ...
at the moment I assume that every spawner which
1. lies in a distance of <= x tiles from one of your own buildings
or
2. you approached at a distance of y tiles (with y being larger than the distance needed to provoke an immediate attack)

will take part in the next (and all future) attack/s.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

If you go even further (any direction), then you'll start seeing clusters of spawners with a turret on each (even inner) corner.

Return to “General discussion”