[0.18] There is No Spoon

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Aspidia
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.18] There is No Spoon

Post by Aspidia »

Hey All,

I just finished up this achievement with about 30 minutes to spare. I don't see any posts about this for 0.18 so figured I would add some contribution for those wondering.

I feel like I did this on Ultra Hard Mode, because I just never made bots, so it was slow and messy. I didn't really have the best Blueprints. I didn't really do Automation all that well. Basically all the normal things that Factorio is known for, I just threw it out the windows. :P

-- I used the "Island" Terran setting with the size set to 75%, Trees at 17%, Starting Area at 600%, no cliffs. I maxed out all the Resources but left everything else alone in the settings. Then I just previewed until I found my little slice of heaven.
-- I skipped Military Science entirely
-- I hand crafted *a lot* of stuff....I was just too lazy to be bothered with Blueprints. I did Copy/Paste a lot of things though - but built it by hand.
-- I made 4x Production Module 3's for the Silo, and then I stole a lot of the Production 1's for other things around the base.
-- I made a 6 steel chest buffer for Green, Red, Blue, Solid Fuel
-- As soon as I got the Silo Researched I cut off nearly all production to Science and diverted my Low Density Structures over to the Silo.
-- Used Only Level 2 Assembly Machines and Yellow Belts - Yellow, Red, and Blue arms.
-- Half furnace stack for Bricks, 3x Iron Stacks, 3x Copper Stacks, 1x Steel Stack, 40x Steam Engines

By the time I finally got the Silo researched I was at the 2 hour mark - Then I had to keep screwing around to increase production. Overall it was a good Experience, and I'm glad I got that all done. Now it's time to burn down a forest. :)

Zillard
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.18] There is No Spoon

Post by Zillard »

Not bad bud. Congrats.

I restarted 4 times on the same map before i got it done. Was fun.

Aspidia
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Aspidia »

Yeah - I failed the first time because apparently I didn't pick a map without biters in the preview - so I got raided and had to start over with a new map.

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

Nicely done. Doing this without bots is definitely a significant challenge!

For those willing to cheese, I heard you can also follow like Nefrums' speed run guide and just play along with the explanations and still be able to finish with time left. I haven't tried said method myself though because I did the achievement as part of a community multiplayer run.

madsohm
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by madsohm »

Please remind me: »There is No Spoon« is launching a rocket in less than 8 hours, right?

Do you think this is a good achievement to go after as a first? I can feel an itch for completing the achievements for this game!

Xeorm
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeorm »

madsohm wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:55 am
Please remind me: »There is No Spoon« is launching a rocket in less than 8 hours, right?

Do you think this is a good achievement to go after as a first? I can feel an itch for completing the achievements for this game!
Either that or the lazy man's one. Learning to launch a rocket by having your factory produce everything for you instead of hand crafting was a very good skill to learn for me.

Aspidia
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Aspidia »

madsohm wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:55 am

Yes it's the less than 8 hours.

I did the Lazy Bastard first and for me that one took a long time - mostly because it was early 17 and a lot of the Blueprints I had changed with all the science stuff - so I kinda have to weed through it.

I would say that you could probably do them both, but you better have good prints to use - and probably rush bots to help. My hand crafting issues usually boiled down to I didn't want to run back ALLLLLL THE WAY for an inserter or 10 - or whatever.

madsohm
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by madsohm »

Thanks to both of you. I think that the less than 8 hours one is easier than the can't hand craft one. I might give it a try sometime soon.

Zillard
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zillard »

For lazy bastard you dont want to be rushed. So rather not try it with a spoon run.

Xeorm
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeorm »

I would definitely say that lazy bastard is easier than doing it in 8 hours unless you're using a guide of some sort. Lazy bastard takes a bit to start, but it's really not that bad once you've gotten started and learned some basic tricks. Would not combine them though.

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ranger_Aurelien »

Xeorm wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:41 pm
I would definitely say that lazy bastard is easier than doing it in 8 hours unless you're using a guide of some sort. Lazy bastard takes a bit to start, but it's really not that bad once you've gotten started and learned some basic tricks. Would not combine them though.
Definitely not to combine them; LazyB takes a lot of slow running back and forth for a while. It gave me appreciation of a factorio Mall: Once you have robots, the rows of assemblers will naturally lead to provide output to a logistics network...
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Xeorm wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:41 pm
If you are beginner, 8 hours is certainly harder, but it does not sound bad if you have few hundreds of hours of experience and know needs, ratios and correct building order. But in that time you have habits and avoiding of clicking handcraft "automatically" would be certainly impossible for at least me. Is it possible to filter inventory now so that you can not collect raw materials?

PyroFire
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PyroFire »

I did it on default settings using save states with 2 hours to spare.

Ez

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

Hannu wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:29 am
But in that time you have habits and avoiding of clicking handcraft "automatically" would be certainly impossible for at least me. Is it possible to filter inventory now so that you can not collect raw materials?
You can use /permissions to turn off your own permission to craft things once you've crafted the initial stuff to get going, to avoid accidentally crafting anything.

ytsejam
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ytsejam »

I'm really struggling with this. So far all I got was the 15-hour achievement (and some others I don't care much about).

My best so far is 8h17. I'm using a 45 SPM factory (rocket part is 6PM because it uses the same low density structure I build for yellow science).

- yellow belts only
- no military science
- no trains
- no bots
- small poles only
- 2 lines of iron
- 3 lines of copper
- 2 greens
- 1 red
- 1 steel
- 2 plastic
- 1 brick
- 1 stone

Not building a mall, just using yellow belts/gears/inserters/green circuits I collect from the red/green science. I also automate pipes because undergrounds are a pain the ass to handcraft.

Things go well (or as well as a messy TNS run can be) until I build the blue circuit/speed module 1 structure. Then my copper line starts to struggle, my green production can't keep up and obviously everything that relies on copper/greens ahead slows down to the point I just don't know how to fix it. If I set splitter priority to my green circuits, they eat everything and there's no copper for reds/low density, etc. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Return to “General discussion”