Little things I love about the game

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Aardwolf
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Little things I love about the game

Post by Aardwolf »

Hi,

There are some subtle things I LOVE about the game! For example:

-how the electricity in your whole camp can flicker off and on while laser turrets are shooting enemies
-how joules and watts are used correctly
-the solar panel and accumulator concept (it's such nice complexity that having a nuclear or fusion power plant in the game in the future would almost be boring - unless it's very late game)
-the production and electricity graphs
-zooming out all the way to see far away enemies
-building a whole industry around science packs
-the awesome nice length of the freeplay
-the stages of variation of going from building your factory to attacking enemy bases
-tweaking everything to optimize production
-how you can have things like a car or 1000s of tons of iron in your inventory, and conveyor belts don't also require energy - I'm glad gameplay practicality was chosen over realism here.
-the modular armor system (could do with some more choices and more useful offensive weapons though)
-the concept of pollution affecting monster aggressiveness

There are also things I dislike though:

-inserters that are not doing anything due to holding an unrelated item, blocking production, and you only notice it way later
-handling of the car through obstacles
-being stuck with an inventory full of half-damaged walls and turrets
-how long it took to learn it is the "q" key to put things back in inventory rather than just esc, the confusion of how if you want to place stuff it also temporarily removes it from your inventory
-some things with belts that should be simple require a lot of space, e.g. swapping two belts or two lanes on a belt, inability to tell inserters to use another belt lane, etc...
-if there are too much trees in the way
-the ugly green night vision
-accidently shooting your own laser turrets with the shotgun
-placing laser turrets at enemy camp and discovering they have no electricity because one pole was too far apart earlier on

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Little things I love about the game

Post by Gandalf »

Aardwolf wrote:-how joules and watts are used correctly
Absolutely love this. It's never even occured to me before but so many game designers seem to think
that either people are too dumb to think in more precise terms then "100 power" or they don't even
know better themselves (nor bothered to read up on it).
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Factorio
Little thing (just 8 chars) :mrgreen:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Nemoricus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nemoricus »

Gandalf wrote:
Aardwolf wrote:-how joules and watts are used correctly
Absolutely love this. It's never even occured to me before but so many game designers seem to think
that either people are too dumb to think in more precise terms then "100 power" or they don't even
know better themselves (nor bothered to read up on it).
This prompted me to look up whether the amount of energy released by coal is reasonable, and I discovered that it's in the neighborhood of a few kilograms of coal. That's actually pretty good for a game like this.

Gregorovitch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gregorovitch »

Aardwolf wrote:Hi,

Agree about these two. Don't care to admit how many times I've shot up my own stuff trying to pause or unpause the game with shift+space. I don't use the car much because constantly repairing it is a pain. Would be nice if it was invulnerable to collisions apart from with worms/biters and worm/biter attacks etc.

Aardwolf
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aardwolf »

Gregorovitch wrote:
Aardwolf wrote:Hi,

Agree about these two. Don't care to admit how many times I've shot up my own stuff trying to pause or unpause the game with shift+space. I don't use the car much because constantly repairing it is a pain. Would be nice if it was invulnerable to collisions apart from with worms/biters and worm/biter attacks etc.
Oh, good thing my muscle memory uses "escape" for pause :)

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

Gregorovitch wrote:Agree about these two. Don't care to admit how many times I've shot up my own stuff trying to pause or unpause the game with shift+space. I don't use the car much because constantly repairing it is a pain. Would be nice if it was invulnerable to collisions apart from with worms/biters and worm/biter attacks etc.
You are playing 10.12, right? In 0.11, cars are pretty much unbreakable by collisions.

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

Rahjital wrote:
Gregorovitch wrote:Agree about these two. Don't care to admit how many times I've shot up my own stuff trying to pause or unpause the game with shift+space. I don't use the car much because constantly repairing it is a pain. Would be nice if it was invulnerable to collisions apart from with worms/biters and worm/biter attacks etc.
You are playing 10.12, right? In 0.11, cars are pretty much unbreakable by collisions.
Oh, I don't know. Every time I get mine hit by a train it still blows up :D

mngrif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mngrif »

Aardwolf wrote: -accidently shooting your own laser turrets with the shotgun
awww c'mon this is my favorite part!
My Silly Factorian Tricks
<_aD> OBSERVE SIGNAL ASPECT BEFORE CROSSING TRACK

Gregorovitch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gregorovitch »

Rahjital wrote:
Just started first 0.11 game, no car yet, will try.

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

Marconos wrote:
Rahjital wrote:In 0.11, cars are pretty much unbreakable by collisions.
Oh, I don't know. Every time I get mine hit by a train it still blows up :D
Trains in 0.11 are actually elder gods in disguise. You can park one in the middle of a biter base, get coffee and then return back to see they've barely scratched the paint.

Return to “General discussion”