Meaningful Content Update

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Mythoss
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Meaningful Content Update

Post by Mythoss »

5thHorseman wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:22 pm
Mythoss wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:17 pm
So what do you want added to the game post 1.0? Nothing?
Yeah, basically. If they fix the Blueprint library and fluids I'm good.
Honesty question, then why are you bothering to post in this thread then? I can understand the argument that you'd rather they divert and allocate development time elsewhere. But arguing that they should make no changes doesn't make sense to me. For one, if they do add content, it won't effect you in anyway, so why not be "for" the people who want more of what Factorio has to offer? Secondly, I seriously doubt they will stop adding content after 1.0, I'm pretty sure in interview they've said they are looking forward to expanding content after 1.0. Why not discuss where you'd like said new content to go?

disentius wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:57 pm
I find it interesting that even you admit that dealing with the biters is as simplistic as make more guns.
Ah. Language again.
I am not interested in how easy or simplistic biters are, it is not a core mechanic of the game, just a resource sink with some shock effects added.
Factorio was never meant to be combat oriented. Yes, this attracts a specific kind of players. No, you are obviously not one of them.
First you say you enjoy solving logistical problems, I make the argument that more combat related tools, actually provides more of that and now you claim you like the simplistic nature of combat. You understand how contradictory that is right?

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 302
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:20 am
Contact:

Re: Meaningful Content Update

Post by netmand »

Mythoss wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:17 pm
Obviously it's too late to add any of this now before 1.0. I don't know why that keeps getting brought up.
Mythoss wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:08 am
While I enjoy reading the blog and seeing small tweaks and graphical updates to the game, none of it is enough to really pull me back into the game. I've been reading the Friday blog for years now, and I can't help but be a little disappointed that there hasn't really been many new features.

I keep hoping for new, significant, impactful features, [...]
The opening words in the very first post in this thread conveys a sense of urgency to me. I guess I forgot that somewhere along the thread the discussion about the ideas shifted to implementing them past 1.0... but ok, there's no need to reiterate something we agree on.

All of the examples you listed could be made in one or more mods. Why do they have to be in the base game?

Mythoss
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Meaningful Content Update

Post by Mythoss »

netmand wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:27 pm
Mythoss wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:17 pm
Obviously it's too late to add any of this now before 1.0. I don't know why that keeps getting brought up.
Mythoss wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:08 am
While I enjoy reading the blog and seeing small tweaks and graphical updates to the game, none of it is enough to really pull me back into the game. I've been reading the Friday blog for years now, and I can't help but be a little disappointed that there hasn't really been many new features.

I keep hoping for new, significant, impactful features, [...]
The opening words in the very first post in this thread conveys a sense of urgency to me. I guess I forgot that somewhere along the thread the discussion about the ideas shifted to implementing them past 1.0... but ok, there's no need to reiterate something we agree on.

All of the examples you listed could be made in one or more mods. Why do they have to be in the base game?
Eh, that's a kind of fair assumption I guess. I'll give you that.

Because post 1.0, they are adding new content, why not discuss what that new content should be? That's the intended purpose of this thread. I beg the question why not? Why is modding the only answer for you? There seems to be a general fear of change. Is it learning new production chains and adapting to changes anxiety inducing? Why is it so important for Factorio to be frozen in time with 1.0? I'm sure all of you are smart enough to find a patch to revert to .18 if you don't like new directions the game takes. Changes are coming regardless of what you want, why not direct them and provide feedback and where you want the game to go?

User avatar
disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 659
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 3:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Meaningful Content Update

Post by disentius »

First you say you enjoy solving logistical problems, I make the argument that more combat related tools, actually provides more of that and now you claim you like the simplistic nature of combat. You understand how contradictory that is right?
This was my first post in this thread :mrgreen:
You are not adressing my argument/statement, sophistry doesn't help strengthen your case.
You want the core game more combat oriented, others (like me) don't; we think that is what mods are for. Just a difference of opinion.
I would love new content, but in an other direction than you suggest in your initial post.

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 302
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:20 am
Contact:

Re: Meaningful Content Update

Post by netmand »

Personally I don't gauge changes to Factorio by calling them meaningful or not. Are you not recognizing that there are changes and choosing not to acknowledge their significance? They're not significant enough to make your games fun again, right?

What's so bad about admitting that a rail gun is more suitable as a mod rather than a base game content update? Is it so terrible that an idea is better off as a mod? Is only changing the base game going to make you happy? Just because your ideas are being challenged doesn't mean those people are resisting change. (see my signature for my take on change, it's been there the whole time and then some)

I guess not everyone is having as much fun as I am.

Mythoss
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Meaningful Content Update

Post by Mythoss »

netmand wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:26 pm
Personally I don't gauge changes to Factorio by calling them meaningful or not. Are you not recognizing that there are changes and choosing not to acknowledge their significance? They're not significant enough to make your games fun again, right?

What's so bad about admitting that a rail gun is more suitable as a mod rather than a base game content update? Is it so terrible that an idea is better off as a mod? Is only changing the base game going to make you happy? Just because your ideas are being challenged doesn't mean those people are resisting change. (see my signature for my take on change, it's been there the whole time and then some)

I guess not everyone is having as much fun as I am.
Everyone keeps focusing on combat, but I've also suggested making biomes more meaningful, strengthening exploration a bit, and adding alternative ways to extract or gather resources. The majority of the comments have been #nochanges and the game is fine as is. What's so crazy about expanding and adding depth to the base game? It's going to happen anyway, you are better off offering suggestions on the direction it should take.

Mods can be clunky, often get abounded and lose compatibility with time. There are also limitations to what modder's can do. Doesn't mean there aren't good mods out there, I'm enjoying Alien Biomes as mentioned above.

At this point the discussion is becoming circular, so I'll leave it at that for now.

Post Reply

Return to “General discussion”