Resource based game modes?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Resource based game modes?

Post by The Phoenixian »

So for a while now, I've been curious about messing with the way Factorio plays using the starting settings. Now there's a lot of talk about hard modes based on biter density but something I haven't seen is using changes in ore frequency, size, and richness to break up the way the game progresses.

So I'd like to ask: What resource settings do people use and how do they change the game?
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Resource based game modes?

Post by Xterminator »

Personally I use default resource settings most the time, or sometimes increase them. For me personally, I have never found it fun in games to make it harder for myself by limiting resources. Usually that just ends up irritating me later on lol So if I want a challenge, I either come up with some of my own, or just increase biters as you mentioned :p
Image Image Image

colonyan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by colonyan »

Its matter of taste and what do you seek. Start with default and see how it fits.
As of myself, I've tried generating different maps and settled with low frequency, small size and low richness.
No change for other parameters.

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Phoenixian »

colonyan wrote:Its matter of taste and what do you seek. Start with default and see how it fits.
As of myself, I've tried generating different maps and settled with low frequency, small size and low richness.
No change for other parameters.
How that end up for you?

For myself I had some success in lowering frequency and richness and it made an interesting train based save but ultimately I wasn't able to keep up with the rate at which those low richness fields meant I had to expand my mining operations.
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

colonyan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by colonyan »

I was just exploring by walking. If you have progressed further and felt that way, I think I have to take in account of your experience.

Return to “General discussion”