Science Pack Production Speed

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
I0lagin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Science Pack Production Speed

Post by I0lagin »

As I am determined to automate science packs with oil ready, I am once again asking for your opinions.
Should I create as much science packs (30 iron/s for 15 red/s, 27 iron/s for 6 green/s, trying to use the best of belt speed)
or sync the production? (5 red/s, green/s, grey/s, etc.)

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Science Pack Production Speed

Post by Serenity »

Science is consumed equally by labs so you want to produce the same amounts of each. A good first goal is 45/min and then double that to 90/min later on

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

In order to plan production, you should think about your expected consumption.

Science packs are consumed by researching technologies in the labs. All technologies use the different science packs with equal amounts. Their main difference is the types of science packs they need. But most of them need both red and green science, and with equal amounts.

Having a factory that produces 15 red science per second but only 6 green science per second, will – even if you have enough labs to consume 15 science per second – result in a very severe backup of red science, which will propagate backwards to a heavy backup of all belts that supply the red science production. Consequently, such a setup will never actually be able to fully use the belt speed.

A synchronized production of 5 red/s, 5 green/s, 5 grey/s, etc. on the other hand will be able to produce in sync with consumption. You will still run into the problem that not all technologies require grey science (for example) so some science packs and their supplying belts will back up eventually.

mergele
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mergele »

In my experience I research a lot faster than I used that research so I just let it back up on the belt and don't care about synchronizing production speeds. Once the assembly machines sleep 0 is always equal to 0.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

In the end, its up to you. And, its not necessarily a bad idea to allow for some stockpiling of research packs. There are some mods out there that use different numbers of each pack, so you do not actually wind up with equal consumption.

That said, if you are not using a mod that does that, then there is no reason whatsoever to overproduce one science pack compared to another. What tends to happen in that kind of case is that the science pack you produce least of winds up being your bottleneck. Better to design them all to be produced at the same rate.

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bauer »

Most has been said: Build equal numbers of science pack of each kind.

You will need roughly speaking about 50k of each red/green/blue. A 5/6/12/7/7-build (# of blue assemblers for red/green/blue/purple/yellow, +3 fabs for grey if you play with aliens) will bring you to the rocket after about 20 hrs. That would be a challenging newby timing. I needed 30 hours for my frist rocket...

If you play vanilla (and most mods), do NOT stockpile science packs. Higher tiers of science packs need way more resources then lower tiers. Hence, they will be the limiting factor. There is no point piling up red/green packs if your blue pack production cannot keep up. Exeptions to this rule are grey, and to some extent yellow and purple packs. But there is really absolutely no reason to stock red/green/blue. You will only hate yourself if you have to move the production at some point.

You want to stockpile something? You cannot have too many red chips...

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

mergele wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:16 pm
In my experience I research a lot faster than I used that research so I just let it back up on the belt and don't care about synchronizing production speeds. Once the assembly machines sleep 0 is always equal to 0.
Try to play Marathon x100 =D

Return to “General discussion”