Just bought the game; What were Your first impressions?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
ewornotloc
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Just bought the game; What were Your first impressions?

Post by ewornotloc »

I don't usually use a mouse and use "c" as right click. I was shooting all the trees and had no idea what was going on xD.

I rebinded all my controls, and now I love the game. Just finished a good copper/iron smelting factory with coal lines, electricity, the works, and I'm going on to start a research factory next. :)

PurpleGreen
Inserter
Inserter

Post by PurpleGreen »

first i was confused , then overwhelmed by the complexity of it. then i fell in love with it AND with the DEVS .... 20 years of gaming and these devs are without comparison when it comes to community management and transparency. and now i am confused and overwhelmed by the 1300+ hours played ....

player8472
Inserter
Inserter

Post by player8472 »

Day -3:
Hmmm, why does steam say I'd like this game - It looks like s***

Day -2:
Hmmmm, Factorio again - lets watch some twitch-streams

Day -1:
Hmmmm, there is a demo. Lets try that

3h later: Well that was real fun - Let's sleep a night over it

Day 0:
Nothing factorio - had to work late :)

Day 1:
Okay, let's do this

Day 3-10 (I had a few vacation days):
"Fuck, it's 6 AM already?!?!?!?"

I am now a few months in and have to say:
- It is second on my hours played list (I have >2 years play-time on WoW collected over about a decade - but factorio is the only contender...) with ~700-800h playtime (I don't start over steam anymore, so i have to calc my savegames together...). ARK is on place 3 with 550h...
- I probably wouldn't play anymore if it wasn't that moddable - Currently playing Bobs/Angels /SpaceX (although i doubt I'll get too far into the SpaceX-Part) - already planning for a seablock-game after that (Watching Nilaus playthrough as prep...)

match_.
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by match_. »

Great garbanzo beans, this game has blown my mind!

There are so many details that are only restricted by imagination. One in particular comes to mind as a "well-thought-out implementation". One of the first Achievements I received was the "It stinks..." award, which answered the very important question of why the locals are "Not Happy" with my presence. Is it really important to know the "Why"?

For me, the "Why" must always be asked. It creates the tension that makes for interesting stuff. And my interest has remained piqued even with soooo many issues to solve ahead of me. I have only just begun to involve petroleum and trains in my save and resist the temptation to answer the plethora of questions by looking online (I succumbed to discovering that (auto) trains only move in one direction- whodathunk?). I have come to realize that there are as many solutions as the imagination can allow (a kind of mix between vertical and horizontal JIT assembly), and the ability to completely tear down and rebuild the production sector with little penalty is a godsend (or maybe not since I have yet to be fully satisfied with my layout- how many axes will I go through?).

In short, this game applies a phrase which I use at work, "It is simple but complex. What are you? Make it work."

AutoOtter
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by AutoOtter »

My first impression was of all the huge belts in the old Aavak/Arumba videos Still nowhere near that level but still have 2 little red iron belts i'm proud of :D

harrymanback
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by harrymanback »

First impression, this is really cool, second impression ERMAGHERD this is so friggin complicated Ahhhhh!

cynicle
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by cynicle »

I absolutely love this game. Tried the New Hope campaign and finished it in 16 hours on easy. Have to note the map with the train tracks, I didn't realise the tracks led to outposts! I took my time setting up my own (and researching all the tech). Wouldn't change a thing though I love mucking around and will look forward to free play mode. Always looking for new additions and have a few suggestions, however until I exhaust the tech tree I won't comment.

Have to admit as a graphic designer and hobbyist coder, this website could use a lot of work... I shouldn't have to register for the game on the home page and then again for the forums a minute later. This is easily consolidated....
I know it's seemingly minor, however you want to encourage all the engagement you can muster. Not to mention website presentation and polish will only attract users which are on the fence over the games state.

Still great game!

Catcha,
Cyn

PotatoFactory
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PotatoFactory »

I started playing Factorio at 8pm last night. Next time I checked my watch, it was 4am. And I had work at 8am. Hmm.

Bought the game in November. Played the demo before hand. Couldn't get enough of it. There should be a warning or disclaimer though before you buy the game, something along the lines of "warning: the purchase of this game will lead to the total destruction of your life because forever more your life will be all about Factorio. You shall breathe Factorio, eat Factorio, **** Factorio! Factorio is your god now!!!"

Something along those lines would be fine :D
Factorio: single greatest purchase of my life!

Ncolas
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Ncolas »

Hello everyone,

And first, thank you for this great game, I've played on it about 15 hours and I started making drawings on a paper for a better organization of my productions. I love it !

Just one remark for your further developements. I'm french, and I use an AZERTY keyboard. When I started playing, I switched my préférences for the movements of the character, with the keys Z-Q-S-D. And for the next first hours of playing, I could never understand why I was throwing lots of objects from my inventory. Finally, I discovered why : the key S was also affected to the "Pipette tool" and the key Z to the action of throwing away an object. Now I changed that and it is easier ^^.

Besides that, I would like to have the choice to make move the inserters (robotic arms I mean) either by the left side, either by the right side, because it has an impact on the placement of products on the transport belts. And I would like to have a Long handed filter inserter.

And, is it possible for you to create a better tool for chopping trees ? I lose a lot of time doing this, and it is not that fun...

Thank you for reading, and continue the good job.

Nicolas

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Ncolas wrote: And, is it possible for you to create a better tool for chopping trees ? I lose a lot of time doing this, and it is not that fun...
You can make iron and steel pickaxes. Later on, for mass forest destruction, grenades and construction bots work well.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

PotatoFactory wrote:There should be a warning or disclaimer though before you buy the game, something along the lines of "warning: the purchase of this game will lead to the total destruction of your life because forever more your life will be all about Factorio. You shall breathe Factorio, eat Factorio, **** Factorio! Factorio is your god now!!!"

Something along those lines would be fine :D
Geez dude... but yeah, they should probably warn us or something in that direction because what you have said is not untrue...

bootsam
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bootsam »

I lost an entire weekend. Gone. Even though I could press Esc key to pause, I'd still be there busting for loo. 'just one more ajustment....' if my bladder had its own automated aquaduct system...hmmm.....

xZippy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by xZippy »

I was hooked. Just starting the first mission and mining some things was all I needed to see. Then I saw the inserters and knew this would be in my top 5 of best games of all time.

Topazy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Topazy »

I have around 15 hours down on Factorio and I love it! I have been completely absorbed by this game because this is the kind of game that I have been craving for a long time.
The gameplay itself is a blend between real-time strategy, base defense, with a huge emphasis on puzzle/logic solving (creating complex production lines). It looks like an old school isometric action RPG and reminds me of games like Stronghold, Age of Empires, and a tad of Diablo mostly because its graphics.
The whole point of this game is to be able to create an efficient factory of uncanny complexity and magnitude in order to gather resources to manufacture a spaceship so you can leave the planet you crash-landed in. However, your actions have consequences and by exploiting the much needed resources you in return pollute the planet in which you and the native species reside in. Needless to say, the native population does not like the pollution and destruction of the planet and depending on your footprint on the environment they will attack you and your base with greater fury as your factory grows in size. As a result, your mission is to defend your growing factory in order to accomplish your object.

Overall, this is a great game with emphasis on base building and defense. If you remotely enjoyed games like Age of Empires or Stronghold you may end up enjoying Factorio. Completely different premise but its got a similar feel to it. I recommend it. :D
Information from-
Bitcohen.
Water table new of factorio!

Elfmansd
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Elfmansd »

First impressions - "So this is what crack addiction is like!" :D :D :D

blindsided
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by blindsided »

When I first bought this game, I enjoyed it, learning about the different mechanics on how to set my factory up and the different layouts in which I could build it. A month later, I couldn't even get passed setting up electricity for my baby base without overthinking literally everything. It stops me in my tracks every time I try to play a game of Factorio now. I've even messed with the Creative Mode mod so I could experiment with mega-buses, but even that confuses me. I've created my own logical problems that just fry my brain. I've watched countless tutorials and read guides. I want to be able to enjoy this game, feel satisfied, and not have to worry much.

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

blindsided, watch the Factorio tutorial videos by Katherine of Sky (and others, but especially hers).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTIV3K ... NjoMoNaGtQ
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

DMFan79
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DMFan79 »

I'm helding you responsible for the lack of sleep I've been plagued recently.

I restarted my base several times before setting down with my actual one. Obviously I'm not satisfied and I'm planning to start again as soon as I manage to beat the game.

Best money I've spent so far for this kind of games.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Jap2.0 wrote:
Ncolas wrote: And, is it possible for you to create a better tool for chopping trees ? I lose a lot of time doing this, and it is not that fun...
You can make iron and steel pickaxes. Later on, for mass forest destruction, grenades and construction bots work well.
Don't forget about the flamethrower. Starting a forest fire doesn't completely wipe out all the trees, but it will take out a substantial amount. And if there's any biters living among the trees... those get roasted too.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Aeternus wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:
Don't forget about the flamethrower. Starting a forest fire doesn't completely wipe out all the trees, but it will take out a substantial amount. And if there's any biters living among the trees... those get roasted too.
Ah, yes, I knew I was forgetting something.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “General discussion”