Just bought the game; What were Your first impressions?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
DaemosDaen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Just bought the game; What were Your first impressions?

Post by DaemosDaen »

I saw this due DW20's Let's play. thought I'ed try it out. I played the demo. Denuded the 3rd area of all resources (including killing all the biters) Everything was in their nice little boxes.; Then I had to buy it.
Then I found the mods.......

I do think the default game need a sliding difficulty scale. If your new, it get difficult real quick if you leave the settings alone when you start.

lowey2002
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by lowey2002 »

Saw this on Direwolf let's play but only made it part way through the first episode before stopping the playlist and picking this up.

Haven't been this excited by an alpha since Kerbal space program.

fsjd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by fsjd »

i originally picked up the demo a long time ago, but DW20s series got me thinking about the game again and prompted me to buy it.

Twisted_Code
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Twisted_Code »

bigyihsuan wrote:My first impression is that I need to rebind the controls to something more like Minecraft. I keep right clicking to go into the machine GUIs.... :P
this^
vampiricdust wrote:My first impression was "Shut up and take my money".
this^
_cyro_ wrote:first off i wondered where this game had been all my life.

then i played for about 4 or 5 hours strait.

Then I had to learn how to do things efficiently.

Which just made the game more fun.
and this^
additionally, as I tried to learn more about the game, I was finding it difficult, as someone (or a few 'someone's) with a severe English learning curve seems to have been responsible for many of the articles on the wiki. For instance, every other article seems to have commas in the wrong spots (a pattern I noticed was exhibited by one of the staff members here, but I'll avoid finger-pointing). It's making it extremely hard to learn about new mechanics without watching videos (which YouTube, fortunately, has no lack of. Direwolf20, for instance, has a co-op let's play. It's actually what got me interested in the game).
I'm sure some of you are probably saying something like "why don't you use the tutorial built right into the game, and for that matter, the demo?" The answer to this is simple: I can't get through the tutorial because I'm the type of person that has to complete every task far beyond what's actually necessary (for instance, in "first steps" stage 2, I didn't want to finish getting my copper plates because I wanted to engineer a self-sustaining process. I eventually figured out that I could have some burner inserters feed each burner mining drill that I set up on coal with the drill's own output, and then run a conveyor around every burner furnace, with burner inserters feeding the furnace. Yeah, obviously I could've just put the coal into my burner furnaces is myself, but I'm too "obsessively compulsive for that. So yeah, the tutorial is no good for me.
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore the game, I'm just having trouble learning with all the problems with the wiki.
How to report bugs effectively (archived version)because everyone should know this.
The game's tech tree, a visual reference guide.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ok, I see, who is meant by "every other article seems to have commas in the wrong spots". You are already invited to change the wiki. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Twisted_Code wrote:[snip]
Yeah, obviously I could've just put the coal into my burner furnaces is myself, but I'm too "obsessively compulsive for that.
So you're basically saying you're the typical target audience for Factorio :mrgreen:. Pretty good thing if I may say so ^^.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Tawsix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tawsix »

I saw the Factorio thread on the SA forums, watch the trailer, played through the demo, and bought it all in the same night. Spent 50 hours on my first game (in the middle of exam period) and am going to start my second game after my exams are done.

My first impression: lots of potential. The few things I disliked were based on the world generation and messing with the parameters fixed most of them. The ease of modding it is a huge plus for me as well. Half the reason I bought it was to help support future development, because even if it was still too raw in its current form (which it surprisingly isn't for the stage it is in) the concept is something I am very interested in.

Plan on wasting a lot of time on this once I finish my exams this week!

SpacemanSpliff
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SpacemanSpliff »

I downloaded this game and the Witcher 3 at the same time.

I first played witcher and absolutely loved it. Addicted even, i played it from the moment I got home from work and, with a few breaks for dinner and going to the store, until I went to bed.
The next day I figured I'd give factorio a shot before getting sucked back into the witcher..... and then played it for 6 STRAIGHT HOURS. no breaks. nothing.
I didnt touch my 60+$ super well reviewed AAA game for like 3 days.
This game is exactly the kind of game I want. Congratulations guys. Easiest 20 bucks ive spent on a video game.

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vedrit »

Tawsix wrote:I saw the Factorio thread on the SA forums, watch the trailer, played through the demo, and bought it all in the same night. Spent 50 hours on my first game (in the middle of exam period) and am going to start my second game after my exams are done.

My first impression: lots of potential. The few things I disliked were based on the world generation and messing with the parameters fixed most of them. The ease of modding it is a huge plus for me as well. Half the reason I bought it was to help support future development, because even if it was still too raw in its current form (which it surprisingly isn't for the stage it is in) the concept is something I am very interested in.

Plan on wasting a lot of time on this once I finish my exams this week!
I got my girlfriend into playing Factorio during her school break, and she had to swear off it when school starting picking up

Tawsix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tawsix »

vedrit wrote:I got my girlfriend into playing Factorio during her school break, and she had to swear off it when school starting picking up
Finished my last exam today, passed them all, despite my terrible addiction.

Adolf01
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Adolf01 »

I spent my 2 days for demo.
Then i understand how much game is interesting.
This is the final conclusion.

Penryn
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Penryn »

I spent most of yesterday finally digging in. It's very rewarding to build a factory and get the logistics right. It's engrossing enough to get that Tetris Effect (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_effect) after awhile.

Overall, a superb job from the Factorio team. I'm not all the way through yet, so I can't judge everything, but if I had to make some criticisms I'd definitely include:
  • An interactive formula tree. It's annoying to dig around trying to find what items are made from, and especially what they can be made into.
  • Pipes. Why should conveyors be traversable but not pipes? Routing pipes properly becomes an accessibility nightmare, and the pipe-to-ground is relatively expensive. If there were overhead pipes or pipes with stairs on the side or something, it'd be a lot less frustrating. I want to focus on logistics and efficiency--instead of where I will box myself in--as I singlehandedly craft the next Exxon-Mobil.
  • An interactive tech tree. I've heard this is in the works.
Otherwise, it's quite good overall. I'd also like to commend the tutorial campaign. For a game of this complexity it was quite helpful.

TheFrelle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TheFrelle »

My first impression, was actually, that it was too hard in the beginning. I had a really tough time getting into the game. But now I've gotten into it, and god, aint it wonderful? This game is the new Skyrim - because there's a huge ammount of mods. The developers are actively contributing to the game, and the community is AWESOME! I am so in love with the community and the game :ugeek: nerdgasm

One33Seven
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by One33Seven »

I got this game as a gift and my first impression is WOW! It's the type of game you think, you'll play for 5 minutes and suddenly it's 4 in the morning. I'm happy this game once again proves what I've been saying all along about classic vs. modern games. Modern games try to have fancy HD graphics or fancy game mechanics which devs think will automatically make a great game, it doesn't. A low res game with simple mechanics but a well thought out gameplay is so much better and this is what made classic games so much greater. In the old days there we're few options to make your game look great so devs had to focus on a game which played great.

That being said, do have a few suggestions.

Late game the game abruptly shifts from building to fighting. To build purple units you need to kill bugs, lots and lots of bugs. You whole infrastructure is geared towards producing 2 things, research and ammo. Since it's impossible to feed your research infrastructure with alien artefacts in the amounts required the whole research infrastructure becomes irrelevant. The only thing you can do is keep producing ammo.

Other then this there isn't much else to-do since there really isn't an incentive to branch out your factory or make it bigger. The only thing you can do is build railroads in search for new resources once the ones close by start to run out, but I don't consider this as growth.

What I would suggest doing is, late game introduce some kind of comms array or some other mechanic to contact other factions and have the settle on the planet. Once these factions land and build their production facilities have them offer you contracts, achievements, trade agreements or whatever so you have to supply them with or trade with them a specific type of resources or product. TTD style.

This way there's always an incentive to keep expanding and building more and more. Maybe even have the factions come in different tech tiers.

wwdragon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by wwdragon »

Factorio is sweet and tasty... like icecream! :-D

jbaren
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jbaren »

My first impression...
I'm gonna need a lot of belts
:mrgreen:

wwdragon
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by wwdragon »

I played the demo too, then got the game and had fun getting to top technology. :-)

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

Been playing the game for a few months, gotten a few other people hooked into it.

Bought it today, and looking forwards to messing with v0.12!

FIrst impressions after buying it were that the store page assumes all dollars equal (not true!!!). First impressions after playing it were roughly "why am I so hungry? Its only 10 oclock... wait, of WHICH DAY?!?"

izawwlgood
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by izawwlgood »

Very impressed! I've been looking for a resource management game for a while to fill the void quitting EVE Online years ago left, and this looks great!

EDIT: Annnnnnnnnnnnd there goes 26 hours into a base... Must... keep... expanding.

Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tinyboss »

I remember my first impression was something to the effect of, "Holy ****, am I ever going to want to play any other games again?"

Return to “General discussion”