There is something wrong with music

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
tempstuff
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: There is something wrong with music

Post by tempstuff »

2000+ hrs and honestly I cannot imagine Factorio without its music. The only time I turn it of is when listening to a audio book with its own backgroud music.

Meggal_Bozale
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Meggal_Bozale »

I also turn it off and listen to smth else usually, but it's prolly after playing for 1250h total. Regardless that's a lot of the players I'd bet because almost 60% of players got all the way to oil. (I know via looking at global stats) Those who didn't prolly just play scenarios more often that have achievements disabled (Like me) or use QoL / content mods.

I'd honestly be hyped for new music, maybe even situational though that's hard to do. Either way, I feel something has to be done with it. Everyone has their own taste yea, but the base ost feels more like ambience

I dont know how to put a conclusion in so just pretend i said something re- I forgot a disclaimer that I'm prolly not gonna respond because I rarely go onto these forums

theorderofthings
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by theorderofthings »

The sountrack to factorio is amazing, but I think anything gets old after listening to it for so long. However, I would really like to highlight how good Turbine Dynamics is. It's the best part of the OST and captures the mood perfectly. When I play with music turned on, I find myself often tuning out subconsciously until solar intervention and turbine dynamics are on, because even after who knows how many listens, they still are an absolute joy to listen to.

StephenShort
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by StephenShort »

Honestly! At some point when I was playing constantly I felt like it was actually my life's background music.

FasterJump
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FasterJump »

DustFireSky wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:56 am
I knew someone would call this. . :lol: But is this normal? Think of a radio song with 3 Minutes silence :mrgreen:

The listeners would then rather think that the radio reception is disturbed and change the channel. It's all about Interpretation.
Fish Story (2009)

starlinvf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starlinvf »

When the music is so successful at setting a mood, it triggers people with anxiety. Thats a mark of some top tier music.

starlinvf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starlinvf »

Thinking about it..... I wonder if Zerg music would set the OP off. Also might wanna stay away from the new 40k Mechanicus game. "The weak of mind shall not be saved from flesh" (robotface)

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

I think the soundtrack is absolutely amazing, but I agree that it feels "heavy". I usually drive it down, when doing circuit stuff, but I love it on every other occasion. It is a wonder of ambient style.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

Yeah, I have to sort of agree with the OP. I found the music pretty sickening as well after a period of time. Other sounds as well, like mining, I found myself unconsciously muting it by keeping the inventory window open as it was very grating.

To be fair though, Wube was trying to do something daring, and I guess it worked for some and not for others. Probably a factor is how much you play and for what periods.

I've tried listening to other music as a replacement, but nothing really matches the atmospheric music that it has now. Like it or not, the game and music are clearly meant for each other. I went back, and I discovered if I turn it up really high it's less nauseating for me, interestingly.

My advice to Wube would be - you're clearly on the right track, but I think you can do better. A bit more variety or length to sequences, maybe a little more uplifting, perhaps something a bit more energetic as well. The current sound track can get overly depressing. It gets especially repetitive if you're like a lot of factorio players who puts in a lot of hours.

The haunting sequence which sounds like some castaway singing happy birthday to himself (does it have a name? It should) could probably benefit from being placed less on the rotation.

One suggestion for improvement is to find a way to sync the music with the current and soon to be current activities. Eg, wandering around in your car versus working mid factory.

Another possibility is adding something like the mod library, but for music. Using some kind of 3rd party download might be a way around the copyright hassle.

At the very least maybe someway to configure the rotation of tracks, ie, turn off the ones that you find unpleasant. The stats on that you might find informative and could help further evolve the music.
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

Here's the complete playlist, btw:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... eAtueOFe22

Apparently there is a track called "Beyond factory outskirts." Perhaps that implies that it is synchronized with activity? I never noticed.

This is the one that I found objectionable - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ai6FRy ... 2&index=24

"World Ambience 4", not quite as evoking as the other titles. You could probably torture someone very effectively forcing them to listen to that track on repeat 24 hours per day.

Also, I am not a musician, but is it correct to call some of this stuff ASMR? Parts of it certainly reminds me of other music labeled as such. I find that music nauseating unless I turn the volume up - which might explain things. Could be an age thing, I guess. Also I noticed a distinct lack of percussion / drums. Was that a conscious choice?
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

GreenTeaKinase
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GreenTeaKinase »

Well, my only problem with the music is that there aren't many tracks. It got repetitive and stale within the first 150 hours, now I just put whatever playlist I care for on the side. None of that is to say that the music is bad; I personally believe that it suits the atmosphere of the game wonderfully. There just isn't enough for me. Except the main menu theme. Can't get enough of that.

Return to “General discussion”