Pollution Scubber

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
keepingreal
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Pollution Scubber

Post by keepingreal »

Hi friends,

Would anyone else like a machine that cleans up pollution?

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Pollution Scubber

Post by conn11 »

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

No. Such a device is unrealistic and do not give interesting gaming mechanics. I would prefer for example ecological modules for advanced pollution control. They could reduce pollution at cost of speed, power consumption and maybe productivity. It would be more consistent to reduce pollution by adding devices on processing plants than filter it from air.

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

Hannu wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:31 am
No. Such a device is unrealistic and do not give interesting gaming mechanics. I would prefer for example ecological modules for advanced pollution control. They could reduce pollution at cost of speed, power consumption and maybe productivity. It would be more consistent to reduce pollution by adding devices on processing plants than filter it from air.
Good idea, firstly because efficiency modules have such an niche application. Secondly beacons can only usefully be equipped with speed modules, a little more variety and atillery less Biter solutions would be nice.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Their application is only niche because, by the numbers, speed and productivity modules are more effective at producing goods.

Obviously, they are far more effective at producing pollution as well.

But, by reducing both pollution and energy usage, they also serve to do something that the pollution scrubbers cannot do : delay biter evolution. Biters evolve on the amount of pollution generated. It does not matter for evolution how much reaches their nests, it only matters that the pollution was created in the first place. Efficiency Modules reduce the pollution generated, scrubbers only remove already-generated pollution from the air, similar to trees.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

astroshak wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:11 am
Biters evolve on the amount of pollution generated. It does not matter for evolution how much reaches their nests, it only matters that the pollution was created in the first place.
We have mods for fixing it:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/NextGenEvolution
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Evo

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

Hannu wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:31 am
I have used Bio Industries (https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Bio_Industries) to create artificial forests that control pollution well. I was able to surround a large, fairly heavily polluting factory with enough of them to significantly reduce the need for defenses, such that I did more alien killing in order to expand than in defense. I don't know if it would be possible if you really cranked up all of the alien settings though, especially sensitivity to even the slightest amount of pollution.
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

Return to “General discussion”