Kirk Calculator only has 3 slots for assembler prod modules? Why?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
markw
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Kirk Calculator only has 3 slots for assembler prod modules? Why?

Post by markw »

Hey guys, I'm not sure I understand the kirk calculator (Using version 0.17): https://kirkmcdonald.github.io/calc.htm ... roGTfzBQ==
The "Modules" column shows what I interpret as 3 prod3 modules for the Red Science assembler, and in the above calc it wants 10.83 assemblers so I gave it 11 assemblers all with 3 prod3 modules. But when I measure the performance of such a setup (with 8x8 beacons= 16 speed3 modules), then the flow rate is under what it needs to be according to the calculator. (around 16.25/sec). So I added in a fourth prod3 module to each assembler, now it is up to 16.93, which is where I need to be (> 1000 red science per min).
Why is there no fourth module slot in the calculator, and is the calculator "off" in this case? Or might I be doing something wrong in my build I am unaware of? The # of effects source was 11 for each asembler, until I put in that fourth speed3 module, now it is 12.
What am I missing?

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Kirk Calculator only has 3 slots for assembler prod modules? Why?

Post by torne »

There are four slots - the one separated from the others to the left is also one of the slots for the machine. The reason it's separated like that is so that you can select one module in the leftmost slot and then hit the arrow button in between to set the other three slots to the same module.

markw
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by markw »

Hi torne, hey thanks for the feedback. Now it makes sense. Although, I successfully built and tested a 12 beacon setup following the kirk calculator, and I only used 3 prod3's per assembler, and got the right flow rate. I guess the fourth prod3 isn't always needed. I like the 8x8 beacon setup better, its smaller and has way less beacons.

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

Unless you've reached the cap of one item per tick in an assembler (it can't go faster than this) then you should, in fact, need all four prod3 modules to get the quoted flow rate, and even if you are able to apply enough speed to an assembler that it *does* hit one item per tick (not sure this is possible in vanilla, but some mods allow for it), using more prod modules will still reduce the amount of input materials needed..

Return to “General discussion”