The radar dish spinning

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
gaoden12
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

The radar dish spinning

Post by gaoden12 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:11 am

Hi alls,
Has anybody else noticed this? It's so subtle that it wasn't until around my 300th hour that I realized there weren't random growling sounds coming from the biters/spitters at a far distance--it was the radar dish spinning as I went by it.

Even once I knew what it was, a year later it still absolutely sounds like a low and subtle growl, and doesn't resemble anything mechanical-sounding to me.

Maybe if I isolated it from all other sounds, like playing back a .wav file, and cranked the volume, it might not sound like a growl, but among all other sounds of the factory, background music, running, etc, it sounds like a growl more than anything else.
Thanks

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: The radar dish spinning

Post by Nova » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:15 am

I never noticed that the Radar does more sounds than that beeping, even in more then 300 hours. :D
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of. Image

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:10 am

The "radar" actually is a highly advanced combined active and passive sonar.
The growls are frequency-shifted harmonics of infrasound war cries from continent-scale worms commanding their biter armies over large distances. The frequency-shifting is a side-effect of the "radar" structures not being perfectly resonance free.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:18 pm

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:37 pm

Huh, it does. You could argue that it sounds like a big metal thing rotating, but it sounds way too grindy to be good.

File's in (Steam\SteamApps\common\)Factorio\data\base\sound\radar.ogg if anyone hasn't found that.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “General discussion”