0.17 - is it stable enough for the casual player?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: 0.17 - is it stable enough for the casual player?

Post by Pi-C »

Oktokolo wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:42 pm
Thank you for working as a tester for my favorite large-scale base building game. There is the way bigger group of players who are indeed hyped for every update and don't wait because they want to play each update as soon as it happens. But they don't actively search for bugs so might miss some low-impact ones, wich testers like you might catch.
Thanks, but I'm afraid that's a bit exaggerated: By playing with the latest unstable version, I know that every update could break something. It's still not active bug hunting, but consciously putting myself in a situation where there is a good chance to get bitten by a random bug (which I then will report). Also, I wouldn't claim that I've contributed a lot -- I guess there's a number of people who've reported more and more important bugs than I ever will. But I believe that every report of even the most obscure bug will help the developers to make Factorio (stable) a truly polished, great game. In this light, it would seem better to advise people to regularly back up their game data or even keep different versions of the game installed
Is that even possible with Steam? I honestly don't know as I've only used single player mode with locally installed versions downloaded directly or updated from the game.
than to discourage them from upgrading early. You know: bigger player base --> more diversity regarding hardware and system configurations --> higher chance that something will break and can be fixed as the devs get to know about it. :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Rebmes
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rebmes »

I've been playing latest unstable for a couple months - it used to be a bit of a gongshow! But in the last month or two I've been able to play without issue.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Those that bought the game on Steam can have their ownership of the game officially registered on factorio.com (and get direct access to portable game versions and mods.factorio.com)
factorio.com wrote:I bought the game via Steam, can I get the Factorio login for that as well?

Yes, it is possible. In game you will have the option to register an account on our webpage. You can also create a free account at factorio.com and then head to your profile page where you will find directions on how to link it to your Steam account. It is strongly recommended to create the account with the same username you have on Steam already.
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ranger_Aurelien »

I was gifted it on Steam and have used 0.17 since day 2. I use the mod search and install system built into factorio without issue, and the Steamfriend integration makes coop games a snap.
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

Return to “General discussion”