How do new version affect older gamesaves?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Quax
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

How do new version affect older gamesaves?

Post by Quax »

Hi Folks, I wonder how a new Version will affect a game started in an older version. Are the settings for input values, recipies, … saved within the gamesave, or will the game automatically reflect the new recipies, …? In that case my whole factory would be rendered useless, as the setting of belts, machines, .. won't work anymore. Like, for example, 0.17.x will see some Major changes to oil processing. Will I have to change my whole oil processing plant after upgrading from the current stable to the developement version?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: How do new version affect older gamesaves?

Post by DaveMcW »

Oil processing is backwards compatible with 0.16. But all the science pack recipes have changed.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Recipes are not saved in the save file, if you update to a version with recipe changes then you need to change that production setup.
Migrating save files over major releases is generally not worth it, minor release changes are no problem to fix though.

greaman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by greaman »

Loewchen wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:16 am
Recipes are not saved in the save file, if you update to a version with recipe changes then you need to change that production setup.
Migrating save files over major releases is generally not worth it, minor release changes are no problem to fix though.
Depends on the Savegame.... I got a game running since 0.12.x? migrated by now to 17.59 and except for those changes like in 17.60 now... or befre when they change the boiler size and broke all my power plants, even the major changes are not really a problem.

However, if you want to keep savegames going you practically have to adapt them for all major changes, as older savegames simply cannot be opened by the game

Quax
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Quax »

I was afraid of that answer .. :D So some questions regarding the Releases:

- Do you know when 0.17 is to be released as the official stable version?
- Is there somewhere an overview of the changes of a new release? Or do I have to go through all the single posts in the release forum / FFF posts?

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ranger_Aurelien »

Quax wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:13 pm
- Is there somewhere an overview of the changes of a new release?
All three links from the front page of the wiki:
https://wiki.factorio.com/Roadmap
https://wiki.factorio.com/Upcoming_features

Here are all 0.17 notes all on one page:
https://wiki.factorio.com/Version_history/0.17.0
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

It depends on how old the older version is. If you have been incrementally saving the old version to the new it typically updates/upgrades to the the way that version works. So yes you will probably have to change your whole oil processing factory production line.

I have saved maps that are too old (circa 0.14.x) to open under the current experimental version (0.17.60). They just won't open and gives some message that effect. This is in contrast to people that started in the older versions (someone here mentioned 0.12.x) and have been upgrading their saved maps along the way.

I play vanilla only so I can't speak to what happens to modded games and their saves.

You remind me: The factory that makes the Chevrolet Corvette was closed 18 months to re-tool for the new mid-engine version. I was one of the last people to go on the factory tour right before it closed for re-tooling... can't wait to go back and see how much it has changed.

Quax
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Quax »

Ranger_Aurelien wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:58 pm
All three links from the front page of the wiki:
Great thanks, I was searching in the forum, and found the 0.17. version post that states all the (planned) changes.

Quax
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Quax »

A little bit off topic, but is there an anounced date when 0.17 should become the stable version?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Quax wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:38 pm
is there an anounced date when 0.17 should become the stable version?
No, and it will only be the first off several stable 0.17 versions.

Return to “General discussion”