Sulfur should be changed

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
G-Forces
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Sulfur should be changed

Post by G-Forces »

I think that sulfur should be changed to something that is mined directly from the ground like coal instead of being derived petroleum gas. I love to know what you think.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Sulfur should be changed

Post by Serenity »

It's perfectly normal to make sulfur from oil and natural gas. Traditionally a lot of it was mined, but today most comes from oil and gas.
However, most of the sulfur is contained in the heavier oils and less in the lighter, more refined products. A lot of is removed directly from crude I think. So it would be better to make sulfur from heavy or light oil. That would also solve some of the over-reliance on petroleum, which is IMO the biggest design flaw of the whole oil processing system.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

I thought about that one https://mods.factorio.com/mods/cncr04s/cncs_Sulfur_Mod
Used it, and with others mods to make more use of sulfur, it makes the game easier. In vanilla sulfur is the opposite of dense, you need 1 per 10 sulfuric acid compared to 1 iron plate per 50 , so it is annoying to put on belt you can't make long setup which means you need super high productivity or large patch on the map to get a useful amount of it when it becomes sulfuric acid.

With other mods that gives other use to sulfur that's different , in Angel's mods for example, you have ways to get sulfur out of the natural gas and crude oil, and you use it to refine some minerals into iron, copper, tin , lead etc so getting sulfur as a ressource on the map is an easy introduction :)

G-Forces
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by G-Forces »

Serenity wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:46 pm
It's perfectly normal to make sulfur from oil and natural gas. Traditionally a lot of it was mined, but today most comes from oil and gas.
However, most of the sulfur is contained in the heavier oils and less in the lighter, more refined products. A lot of is removed directly from crude I think. So it would be better to make sulfur from heavy or light oil. That would also solve some of the over-reliance on petroleum, which is IMO the biggest design flaw of the whole oil processing system.
Fair point, i didn't know that.
Also i agree that petroleum is over relied on.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Serenity wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:46 pm
Just gonna leave this here....

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/SulfurFromOils
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

There's an option in bob's mods to add sulfur patches directly on the map.

Also :
(for latest 0.16, but probably hasn't changed much...)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Return to “General discussion”