3x3 reactor setups?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Rjskeet
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

3x3 reactor setups?

Post by Rjskeet »

So I know this sounds dumb but has anyone tried a 3x3 reactor? So 8-9 reactors in a square. With or without the middle reactor( my thinking would be the center would act as a booster to either jumpstart the whole system or to add additional heat when needed, and yes I know it would have to be loaded by the player). Would just like to see some concepts before I try and build my own.

And yes i know the standard setup is 2 rows, I just want something more visually appealing

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: 3x3 reactor setups?

Post by DaveMcW »

Rjskeet wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:40 pm
I just want something more visually appealing
The problem with big reactors is they require a huge network of heat exchangers, turbines, and pipes. That is the real challenge to make look good, the reactor in the middle doesn't matter so much.

To compare how many support buildings you need, a fully fueled 3x3 produces a bit more power than a 2x4 reactor.

Rjskeet
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rjskeet »

Well wouldn't a 3x3 be double the power of a 2x2?

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Rjskeet wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:31 am
Well wouldn't a 3x3 be double the power of a 2x2?
In a 2x2, all reactors generate 300% power. In a 3x3, the corners generate 300%, the sides 400%, and the middle 500% - so the ratio of a 2x2:3x3 would be (theoretically) 4:11 - nearly triple. If the middle was omitted, it would be exactly double.

Of course, I've never actually built one, so a) this is all conjecture, and b) piping all the heat out of that thing would be a nightmare (as stated earlier).
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

On a 3x3 setup, you'd have to handfeed the central reactor, which is unFactoriesque.
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=54241
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “General discussion”