[Poll] 0.17 Quickbar

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

Rate the 0.17 Quickbar

Awesome
49%
Nice
35%
Usable
4%
Meh
7%
Bad
3%
Terrible
2%

Total votes: 102

Expunge
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [Poll] 0.17 Quickbar

Post by Expunge »

My man you seem really upset about this

ownlyme
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ownlyme »

i am. the new quickbar is like torture for me.
mods.factorio.com/user/ownlyme
My requests: uiAbove||Grenade arc||Blueprint allies||Creeps forget command/ don't get removed||Player Modifiers||textbox::selection||Better Heat IF||Singleplayer RCON||tank bug w/ min_range >= projectile_creation_distance

SkiCarver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SkiCarver »

ownlyme wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:53 pm
i am. the new quickbar is like torture for me.
Perspective .... get some.

Italian Cuisine
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Italian Cuisine »

A little thing that I don't think I've seen mentioned:

I use the bottom-most quickbar as a display for how many raw/intermediate products I'm holding (plates, circuits, stone, etc), and flip the top bar between a few different sets. That lower display is very handy when you're still hand-constructing items in the early game.
It's not spaghetti!

mergele
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mergele »

The old quickbar really annoyed me having to find some "the least bad"-compromise between constantly rejuggling my quickbar everytime I'm changing what kind of part I am working on and a fixed order of items that easy and quick to use (+not having to effectively pause the game while doing the chore of assigning new items to the bar). Now I just have a seperate set all of them, have to adjust things a lot rarer and it just plays a lot smoother not having to open inventory every time I want something that is not massed for the current situation. (Plus mixed pipe/belts setups simply didn't have enough slots on the bar no matter how I bent myself.)
If there is an improvement I'd like the ability to make the quickbar setup a setting that is synced between saves and games.

Itemfinder
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Itemfinder »

I like the 0.17 quickbar a lot. I just wish it had
A) Reverse Rotate Active Quickbars command, to better utilize 3 or 4 simultaneously active quickbars,
B) A way to link mouse scroll , or shift+scroll, to change between items on the current quickbar.

If ctrl+scroll was set to zoom, shift+scroll to rotate active quickbars up/down, and scroll to cycle along the quickbar.. building could not be much more efficient, I think.

plepper1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by plepper1 »

Koub wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:33 pm
I voted "nice", because I'm globally a lot happier with the current quickbar than I was with the previous toolbar.
The only 2 things I would add to get the vote to awesome are :
1) in addition to the current quickbar I'd like an additional one, working as a FIFO, where a shortcut to the last items I handcrafted/mined (and excluding intermediates that were auto-queued) would get linked, and from which I could drag&drop into the actual quickbar if I want. There would be an option allowing to show it or not, depending on player's preference of course. The option could be name "Show last acquired items bar".
2) I want a way to export my whole quickbar setting and import is as I would do with a blueprint book (and even better to set one "by default" so that it's automatically kept from one game to the other). I dislike not being able to automate the quickbar conservation from one game to the other.

BTW both suggestions have already been made previously, after 0.17 was released
Yes, on both.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65895&p=403573&hili ... ar#p403573

This is pretty much my vote here. The fact there are quite a few posts on the subject does suggest it is a problem.

That, and save/load functionality would be fine.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

csduff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by csduff »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:10 am
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65895&p=403573&hili ... ar#p403573

This is pretty much my vote here. The fact there are quite a few posts on the subject does suggest it is a problem.

That, and save/load functionality would be fine.
So, two people in that other post said anything negative, coupled with 85% positive on this poll says that there is a problem?

I do agree with save/load functionality being added.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

More tbat my OP there is my opinion on the subject, and it hasnt changed yet. I've gotten used to the new hotbar, but it could use a lot more user friendliness, which I detailed.

A linear, good or bad doesn't work, because while a huge step forward, it has issues making it inferior in user friendliness, countering the benefits.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

csduff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by csduff »

The new bar is much more user friendly, from my perspective. Items are always in the same place that you chose to put them. I hated when newly made or picked up items would make their way to the bar. The only items I want on there are the items that I often place manually and frequently (e.g. belts, poles, inserters). For items that I make one/few of, then place, I would much rather have to look in my inventory to find it.

And the linear good/bad scale is merely a snapshot of what people think. These discussions are where the real thought is put in, and suggestions for improvement can be made.

mergele
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mergele »

Now although I prefer the new system I will say the new system is probably less new-user-friendly than the old system.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

I’m somewhere around meh/usable.

I do like that it remembers what was in the slot kind of like setting a filter and, as mentioned by someone else (but I haven’t had the chance to find it yet myself), you can set ghosts for something despite not having any of the item.

That said, I do wish we could save/export setups and quite often I find myself missing the functionality where things I handcrafted or picked up don’t auto appear on the quickbar (I think Koub’s suggestion of a FIFO bar would help with that).

The thing that was most annoying for me when I first upgraded to 0.17 and tried using it, though, was trying to figure out how to reset/clear the filter. :P
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

planetmaker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by planetmaker »

It's awesome.

I can set the number of active toolbars to anything 1...4
I can customize any of 10 quickbars to whatever I like. That is enough for all my needs and I can quickly switch between different ones depending on what I do
There is one place where the stuff I have really is: my inventory. The quickbar is just that: a quick access to my inventory

It's both, a more convenient interface to use as well as a mentally easier concept than the previous toolbars.

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

I think the new quick bar is much better than the old one. I particularly like the way it sums the items in your inventory now.

Return to “General discussion”