"Expected resources" not what you expect it to - ? (self-answered)

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
tpreissler
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

"Expected resources" not what you expect it to - ? (self-answered)

Post by tpreissler »

Hi,

with my still ongoing game (like 822 hours) my save it's just a matter of love. So I am going off now to mine even like 3000 iron ore.
I have automated mostly everything with trains, so it's just a matter of calling the building train and building while waiting it
comes back.

I noticed I had an iron patch of "3k", so map shows "3k" and putting a mine there shows "Expected resources" "3k", too.
So ... to get it out of the way I only put chests down. 2 chests for "3k" iron ore is plenty. Done. Coming back later,
the two chests are full and the patch still has like 2.9k in it.

Now I just had another, more obvious case. I had a leftover Uranium ore patch of "5". There is a bigger patch tile nearby, so map mode said "7k".
But the tile said "5" and when placing the miner to cover only that tile it said "Expected resources 5".
Doing my chest/insert thing again... and I get 61 in my chest??

I am fully upgraded, maxed out on Stack inserter bonus, my green inserters can pick up 12 items. I am working on mining productivity 555 now.

So... reading up on https://factoriocheatsheet.com I got the answer myself:
Mining productivity 555 means I have a productivity of +1108% which equals to a factor of (1108/100+1 = 12.08)
And "Expected Resources" was 5, so "5*12.08 = 60.4".

Hopefully this helps somebody else.

Regards

Tom

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: "Expected resources" not what you expect it to - ? (self-answered)

Post by zOldBulldog »

Very cool and thank you for posting.

I always assumed that mining productivity just mined faster, it never crossed my mind that it actually gave me more ore.

Definitely useful to know.

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

Yeah. Expected resources should probably factor in the productivity research somehow. Maybe a suggestion?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Mining productivity indeed creates resource out of thin air, prod module style, without all the inconvenients.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Tekillaa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tekillaa »

Hi, I use that new productivity ratio in research in my actual mega base to "simulate" infinite ore : if you chain all mining productivity research, with a wise use mining field you they will go low very very slow, and if you expand fast enought, probably never. That way i can build mega base without taking care of changing mining field all the time. (i take max size and richness ofc)

The wise use is for me bot mining with a 1 slot only at each provider chest : that way when a train come take ore, bot pull ore from all mining drills instead of just few of them with a classic belt mining.

After a time, you can consider the direct into train for ups because the productivity will be so high that you don't need all themining field to have that result.

It's my point of view on the game so it's relative to your game play etc.. i just share my way to enjoy that new insane mining productivity to make mega base without a mod :), Have fun!

Factorio is Awesome!
It should be add in the game: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67650 :)

Return to “Gameplay Help”