What about a grafic update?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Toastbrot
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

What about a grafic update?

Post by Toastbrot »

Fectorio is an old game. That doesnt mean it is bad or not entertaining but the grafics are not the best anymore. And to compete with other games (like Satisfactory) someting should change. A new grafic update would be perfect. For the players which like the current texstures, there will be a button to change between new and old. Now everyone is happy

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: What about a grafic update?

Post by Deadlock989 »

Toastbrot wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:16 am
Fectorio is an old game.
It's not even out of early access yet.

The graphics are being updated literally all the time.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:45 am
Toastbrot wrote:
Fectorio is an old game.
It's not even out of early access yet.

The graphics are being updated literally all the time.
This. Also the graphics are "old schoolish" on purpose. If you pay attention, you'll see that a lot of care has been taken into making graphics to look exactly as they do.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

benwillard
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by benwillard »

Would you want a realist Tetris?

If you want a big factory you need "poor" graphics. Factorio is about efficience, not about realism. Visual effects aren't the game. Calculating rotations and raytracing takes a lot of time. Factorio massively uses short tables of precalculated values, dramatically enhancing the perfs but limitating cam effects. it's a neo-oldschool game... This is the end of graphic enhancements and the come-back of real good games ideas :) remember "Archipelagos"? Try it.

I'd rather play a pixellized game that can hold an "infinite" number of entities than a poor-coded visually realist game like Cities:Skylines, where your city is (very) limited by your computer perfs : a good ol' 65535 (vehicles) is a limit, lol. So it aims to be used for big cities, but can't, because bad choices at all levels make the game require high-end GPU&CPU and a lot of RAM. It's a game "by/for" graphists. Factorio is a game "by/for" devs.

In the performances/aesthetics balance, Factorio chooses the performances. The content, not the style. Factorio can run on "smallish" (for a gamer) configs, and I hope that if it's graphically enhanced there will be ways to remove ALL useless "beautification". Devs tend to think that all their potential players are hard-gamers using a high-end computer... But the complexity of Factorio comes from the simplicity of its mechanisms. Like Chess vs Go, you know...

So: Useless perf-eating aesthetics are for toys. Realism has nothing to do with Factorio (everything else is just a toy) and has to be minimalist. What is relevant is not pixellized non-moving trees, smoke, or shadows, but the game mechanics. Allowing the maximum extension for the Factory.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Toastbrot wrote:
Fectorio is an old game. That doesnt mean it is bad or not entertaining but the grafics are not the best anymore. And to compete with other games (like Satisfactory) someting should change. A new grafic update would be perfect. For the players which like the current texstures, there will be a button to change between new and old. Now everyone is happy
Nott tryin to be offensive, but it's not old, it's simply just an art style. We get new graphics every patch or so. If you want to see remnants of the old gfx, look at item icons. That's what "old" factorio was like. I myself enjoy the feel and look of it, as it is now, the artstyle makes it unique. But to each his own I guess.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Return to “General discussion”