What does a base consists of?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
scooter010
Inserter
Inserter

What does a base consists of?

Post by scooter010 »

Hey guys,

I now played 120h on factorio and I'm very happy with it.

I played the "wild" or "spagetti" strategy, I tried the "main Hub" (and ending now in the "wild one") and now I want to ask, what a Base have to consist of.

I think, there are some main points:
  1. Several Mining Areas with train stations
  2. A "shop" Area where all your expansion stuff will be produced (all production and infrastructure) incl. enough storage inside logistic network
  3. Military area (walls, artillerie ammo, mines, uran ammo, defence towers, light oil für flametowers, atomic bomb,...) and artillerie-trains
  4. Defence perimeter/Walls itself
  5. normal Science Area(s) (where the SPU will be "produced") incl. space science
  6. elektrik power
So, am I right if I design and build area-types 2, 5 and 6 independend und just feed everything with rare material (Oil, iron ore, copper ore, coal, uran, water, stone) by train would be suficient and well scaleable?
Did I forget anything?

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: What does a base consists of?

Post by zOldBulldog »

Although there are several common base layouts, a base will be whatever you like it to be. Your creativity is the limit.

Some common designs:

- Spaghetti: Put stuff wherever seems convenient.
- Main Bus: Different constructs are placed along the bus. Ore smelting on one end, Circuits production next, Science production and rocket production on the other end. As you are just starting, I recommend building on one side of the bus only, so that you will have space to add to the bus when you discover you need additional lanes.
- Rail outposts: Place each build in its own area and connect them via rail.
- City blocks: A grid of square factories connected by busses or rail.

Personally, my favorite is a railworld, with factories hanging off a straight rail line that stretches into the distance.

Keep in mind that ore deposits grow richer the further you get from the spawn point.

Return to “General discussion”