Stack inserter bug, flawed design or is the current behavior the best possible?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Stack inserter bug, flawed design or is the current behavior the best possible?

Post by Pi-C »

DerGraue wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:09 pm
Pi-C wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:09 pm
Just out of curiosity: How many items can a stack inserter move if that item has a stack size of 1, like artillery ammo? If you had completely researched all stack size upgrades, would it still pick up 12 items per swing, or would the item's stack size override the stack inserters capacity limit?
An inserter can only move 1 item with stack size 1.
Thanks for the clarification! :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

mrudat
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Stack inserter bug, flawed design or is the current behavior the best possible?

Post by mrudat »

DerGraue wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:09 pm
The only problem here is the "set stack size" part. If you use several items you need to calculate a minimum which is really, really hard to do with combinators. IMO it is not worth the effort.
I'm reasonably certain that the stack insert only accepts one filter slot, and uses the signal for that filter for the stack size?

I have to admit it's been some time since I set up a mixed-goods station, having switched to using LTN.

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

mrudat wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:26 am
I'm reasonably certain that the stack insert only accepts one filter slot, and uses the signal for that filter for the stack size?
No, unfortunately you have to choose a specific signal for the stack size manually, which means that if you're dealing with multiple items you need combinator logic to calculate it somehow.

HurkWurk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HurkWurk »

I'm happy with the current method. If you are trying to load a single car with lots of different things, learn to chain several stations together in a short space to load the one train car. A train does not have to clear it's current station to stop at another, so you can have stations engines + car apart and load the one car from any number of chests with only one item per chest.

This is how people load huge trains from small ore patches. Just have it keep stopping as empty cars get to the loaders.

Return to “General discussion”