Biters in Starting Area?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
akmotu
Inserter
Inserter

Biters in Starting Area?

Post by akmotu »

Hello all,

Just checking something. In 17.32, on regular default, no-tweaked settings, there are multiple biter nests within my starting area.

Is this working as designed, a bug, or just an experimental feature the devs might change later.

On normal default, and no matter which map string I try, at least 3 biter nests (if not more) super close to resources.

Sidenote: I understand I can alter settings to make things more to my liking. Just seems a little more like a combat game and less of a factory building game. So many threats and obstacles so close to the starting area, by default. Not sure it will make a difference, but this seems like poor design. I'm not a fan of default settings being this difficult. It makes me no longer want to play the game.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Biters in Starting Area?

Post by zOldBulldog »

Indeed, 0.17 seems to be a change in philosophy.

It also does not make sense to me, they created a factory building game that attracted tons of followers but now they change the defaults to make it something else entirely.

And TBH, Factorio is quite lame as a combat game. I do all my combat gameplay in other games that are far better suited to combat. To me it seems that this change is suicide.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Sounds like a bug. Starting area is supposed to be nest-free.
(In fact, IIRC, in 0.17, starting area was re-defined as being the space without nests, rather than being tied so heavily to starting resources ? This different definition of starting area might cause this kind of issue ??)
But you don't provide any actual examples, so...

Also, duplicate :
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=67249
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

DerGraue
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DerGraue »

It is by design and not a bug. However the starting area is not the preview window but an area around your starting position and there are no biter bases in there. In default settings there are basically always biters in the preview area, but most maps are playable.

Try the preview of the death world setting, many maps are literally not playable.

You can always find ppl who like those changes and ppl who dislike them. The settings are there to get used. Use them to play the game how you like it.

Gummiente27
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gummiente27 »

Starting area is big enough to have free place, but small enoguh so you have to build defense. If you don't like that, you can use those easy sliders to change it - heck you can also jsut disable the fighting part.

I do NOT see why a whole game gets bad because the default is not to how you like to play the game.

This makes me think: Did you just died on a map with default settings before creating this?

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Gummiente27 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:11 pm
I do NOT see why a whole game gets bad because the default is not to how you like to play the game.
Not bad. Just a dumb choice of defaults.

For optimal acceptance of the game by new players, defaults need to be set so that they are adequate for new players... who don't yet know how to play and need to tinker and learn.

The sliders in the settings work quite well, but it is far more reasonable to expect that us, the more experienced players, be the ones that tinker with them to make the game harder... not the new players, to make the game playable at their initial level of know-how.

To make it ideal for all, I have already suggested in the appropriate forum that perhaps the "defaults" should be remembered for each player (the values you chose for your last game of the given preset type), and to perhaps also have a button that lets you return to the original presets. That should make it painless for everyone to have his own custom "defaults" at the start of another New Game.

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ranger_Aurelien »

zOldBulldog wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:46 pm
To make it ideal for all, I have already suggested in the appropriate forum that perhaps the "defaults" should be remembered for each player (the values you chose for your last game of the given preset type), and to perhaps also have a button that lets you return to the original presets. That should make it painless for everyone to have his own custom "defaults" at the start of another New Game.
I second this; there are a lot of pages of map generation options... I'll look for the suggestion to upvote it.
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

Return to “General discussion”