Factories arnt built over night, mode?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
shock
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Factories arnt built over night, mode?

Post by shock »

So iv played factorio a few times, but factories have become to simple to build. So i want to kick everything up a notch. Here is what im thinking,

Mods,
detech (all of them)

Increase all techs that use green science to 10x cost. So if something cost 50 sets of green and red science packets, now it costs 500 of them
increase all techs that use blue science to 100x cost. So if something cost 100 sets of blue, green and red science packets, now it costs 10000 of them
change the alien orbs to give 100 science instead of 10

Assuming you wont want to wait forever for research you will need to build huge factories. A factory that needs to pump out huge amount of science becomes alot more complex. Small simple factory designs that you only need one of in a normal game tend to not be scale-able, combined with probable space problems should make it interesting.

Thinking of using this resource set up

Very low amount of resources should also force a large logistic network to get the resources needed. Debating on if i should go good or very good on resource richness for iron/copper. VeryGood Rarely seems to run out in the past, but iv also never needed 100x science.

Enemy bases set to low only because with dytech warfare i feel like its going to be very hard to expand early/mid game with low tech.

Whats everyone's thoughts?

----

On a different note, is there any easy way to scale science cost? Or do i need to go though and manually change each one, which i assume will be a pain when there like 10 dytech mods.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Factories arnt built over night, mode?

Post by -root »

I like the idea of increasing research cost. It would stretch out the game time. The hard thing would be to ensure you're always busy. You don't want a situation where you AFK because there is nothing else do to. I think a 10x increase in research cost would be a good place to start.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Agreed. I would not go more than 10x cost at the most. Even if you have to build and manage a huge factory to support that, I can definitely see how it could result in a lot of AFK standing around waiting for research to finish.

Good luck mate!
Image Image Image

Jythier
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Jythier »

Can't afford to stand around. Need to get more resources ready because you're going to use a boatload of them on everything. Yeah, you'll breeze through red research like normal, but as soon as you hit those green packs you will be constantly expanding just to get enough iron and copper for everything. Sounds like a real challenge!

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

I feel very similar to you shock. I also use scarce resources so I have to expand and find new resources.

How do you adjust the research tech? I'd like to increase mine, maybe 2x to 4x.

Here are the starting conditions I use, though my next game I'll lower the enemy base count, can't expand with such a high number.

Xecutor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xecutor »

Main problem I see with this idea - if you run out of resources before you research trains, than... you are screwed.
Also, I don't really how this can work in non-peaceful mode.
You need to expand a lot, which means you will kill a lot of spawners, which means evolution will grow too fast to handle it with scarce resources.

Chibiabos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Chibiabos »

I've seen some players posting videos on Youtube (well, Arumba to name names, but I'm sure others, too) doing custom challenge modes such as never crafting ... that is, never building anything yourself, always using a factory. That particular challenge requires starting with a power generator of some sort (Arumba uses a single solar panel, which means no power at night) and a blue advanced factory, as you cannot even a starting factory without a blue factory because it requires 3 ingredients (but the basic factories can only build things with at most 2 ingredients). Beyond that, nothing ... you can harvest coal, iron, copper or stone yourself, but may not build so little as a pick outside of a factory.

Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tinyboss »

Chibiabos wrote:I've seen some players posting videos on Youtube (well, Arumba to name names, but I'm sure others, too) doing custom challenge modes such as never crafting ... that is, never building anything yourself, always using a factory. That particular challenge requires starting with a power generator of some sort (Arumba uses a single solar panel, which means no power at night) and a blue advanced factory, as you cannot even a starting factory without a blue factory because it requires 3 ingredients (but the basic factories can only build things with at most 2 ingredients). Beyond that, nothing ... you can harvest coal, iron, copper or stone yourself, but may not build so little as a pick outside of a factory.
I was contemplating something sort of similar: starting with a roboport, a single construction bot, and whatever else is the absolute minimum needed to start. Sort of roleplaying an invading AI. It would be even better if the player could be replaced with a free camera.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Just go for a sandbox game then Tinyboss. The biggest difference from freeplay is the lack of a player.
If you start with, or spawn in, the items you want to start with, then it's exactly what you're looking for.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tinyboss »

n9103 wrote:Just go for a sandbox game then Tinyboss. The biggest difference from freeplay is the lack of a player.
If you start with, or spawn in, the items you want to start with, then it's exactly what you're looking for.
I guess I'm doing something wrong, then--I assumed that mode had been changed, because every time I try it, I get a message about being in "god mode", and the option for a starting chest and all techs, but I still have a player.

shock
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by shock »

Started a game, about 6 hours in now. The base almost got wiped out the first time a wave of mid size biters attacked about 4 of them and 30 small. Currently have a small oil area to make batteries, 24 basic furnaces making Steel, and iron/copper production supporting 56 science building for green/red tech. Even at 10x speed tech is coming at a decent rate, i ended up only increase blue tech by 50x. Everything is going well, and i dont think there will be any problems with blue tech. Only worry is if late game will become unplayable from lag. (ss attached to end of the post)
Xecutor wrote:Main problem I see with this idea - if you run out of resources before you research trains, than... you are screwed.
Also, I don't really how this can work in non-peaceful mode.
You need to expand a lot, which means you will kill a lot of spawners, which means evolution will grow too fast to handle it with scarce resources.
1 decent sized iron and copper patch will get you to trains.
Iv never really been sold on the idea of trains > transport belt. Train stations take up a huge amount of space, and dont tracks and basic belts cost close to the same. Iv just built trains because they are fun to build. Im sure transporting by trains is easier on the cpu tho.

The resource generation can suck though, i had to restart like 30 times just to make sure i had access to all 3 resources at the start of the game. Id be happy if they just made sure there was at least 3000 of each basic resource in your starting spot. My only coal resource was very far away
TheSAguy wrote:I feel very similar to you shock. I also use scarce resources so I have to expand and find new resources.

How do you adjust the research tech? I'd like to increase mine, maybe 2x to 4x.
You have to manually edit the game files. Took me maybe 20 minutes.

Go to your technology folder (if you use mods you will have to also go to the technology folder for each mod)
Windows: C:\Program Files\Factorio\data\base\prototypes\technology

Each file holds a bunch of techs. Edit the count number of each tech to change the amount needed.

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LordFedora »

Tinyboss wrote:
n9103 wrote:Just go for a sandbox game then Tinyboss. The biggest difference from freeplay is the lack of a player.
I guess I'm doing something wrong, then--I assumed that mode had been changed, because every time I try it, I get a message about being in "god mode", and the option for a starting chest and all techs, but I still have a player.
when they introduced multiplayer, they broke sandbox, so they removed the godmode controller and set it to the default one (you have a body),

so it's now a lazy freeplay with the ability to cheat, and passive enemies on default

Return to “General discussion”