Gentlemen, BEHOLD!

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
greep
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Gentlemen, BEHOLD!

Post by greep »

Born out of desperate measures with a dwindling piercing rounds supply...

Flame turret rush!

(This is actually terrible, I just had to share)

Update: This is actually not all that terrible when used to drain the nests while you attack on the side.

Anyways, mostly a failure, but it really brings out the body count :shock:

In retrospect this probably could work if you came it at as a pyramid instead of at an angle. One issue is that pipes are not fire resistant; however, you can always just keep repairing them I suppose. It's just really hard extending it as you get close to the nests what with the huge flame fields everywhere.

Notably simply staying a few seconds next to a pipe gives the flame turret all the oil it needs, so one could always just let the pipes get destroyed. I'm also wondering if this would be more effective with a personal shield.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Gentlemen, BEHOLD!

Post by BlueTemplar »

Walls help a LOT :
viewtopic.php?p=407062#p407062
EDIT : I also found it really stressful in 0.17, good job with the worm screams !
EDIT2 : Personal shields are very expensive to research... I already got mines and rockets by that time, though one could decide to rush solar I guess ?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

greep
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by greep »

Well in this particular game, I managed to secure a giant iron ore patch using the flamethrower turrets here just before hitting 0.5 evolution, so I'm sitting okay.

That said, I wonder if I should seriously use this tactic while in a tank. Repair are super cheap. Then again poison capsules will probably do the job just as well. Going the tank route, you get poison capsules on the way at least.

I started researching rockets since the tech is cheaper than tanks but stopped because I'm not sure how effective it'd be when the blue biters come out. You've got to kill them somewhere, and I went flamethrower turrets instead of laser turrets, hence the awkward desperation here as I found medium biter hordes so demanding :lol:

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

Rockets are good because you can snipe spawners from outside of worm range. So you can setup a defensive line of whatever turret or choice, run forward and snipe 1 or 2 spawners, run back and let the defenses kill the biters, and just repeat until the nest is gone. A little slow but safe and reliable.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

greep wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:41 am
I started researching rockets since the tech is cheaper than tanks but stopped because I'm not sure how effective it'd be when the blue biters come out.
Rockets are awesome against nests and worms with the increased launcher range. You can use turrets (and later the personal laser defense) to kill the biters they send at you.
A single shield can protect you from worm fire, but they are so slow that you can usually dodge them

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

What increased launcher range ? Do you mean compared to 0.16 or to other weapons ?

Rockets and Flamethrower work really well together, without even the need for any turrets.
But then landmines are available quite a bit earlier than rockets, and are much more powerful too (though take a little bit more skill to use on offense).

Poison Capsules and Tank require Blue Science.
Poison Capsules are even safer than rockets/mines to kill worms, but deal damage slowly (and no damage to spawners).
A "tank-powered" flame turret fort can indeed be useful in highly contested territory :
fort.png
fort.png (5.68 MiB) Viewed 2400 times
(0.16, but should work roughly the same...)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Return to “General discussion”