Moving around on a big base

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
imajor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Moving around on a big base

Post by imajor »

First of all, I love this game, but there is something which annoys me a bit. When my base is getting big, I hate it when I cannot easily move to different parts of the base, because the main character is blocked by building (or especially when it is blocked by pipes). At this stage of the game, the base is completely free of any enemies, surrounded by wall and turrets, so it doesn't matter at all where the character is. So what I do usually is that if I want to check/do something to the north, I just press 'w' without checking where the character is, and when I see that the camera is not moving, I start checking how to change direction to avoid the obstacle. I know it is not a big deal to find the path, but I feel that it is not adding anything to the core feeling of the game, moreover it weakens it. I find it strange that the game is about automation, but the player has to manually do the path finding in these simple situations. Or maybe there is something I'm missing? Is there an equipment which makes it possible to fly and ignore obstacles?

Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Moving around on a big base

Post by Tinyboss »

I am starting to have the same trouble now that my base is getting large. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I'm either going to build a train system solely for my transportation, or a network of express belts as moving sidewalks.

katyal
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by katyal »

Lucky guys, you're now at the stage where you get to rip up what you've built and improve on the layout, maybe add some capacity for items always in short supply or straighten out some twisty belts to help throughput. If you have trouble getting through your factory give the person who built it hell :D .

Another thing you could try is to play in free mode where you have no character ...no chance of running into a building if you have no avatar.

Eurofighter1200
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Eurofighter1200 »

I use my car /tain or in the really main base the belts from production i dont buidl so that i dont can go anywhere there is always some space not much but enough for the carakter. Ands i think its not so hard to move around you have only to build smart ;)

chainedlupine
Inserter
Inserter

Post by chainedlupine »

I've considered making a road mod. Initially, the mod would just for visual effects -- a way to place walkways in our bases.

But eventually I'd like them to give you (or your vehicles) a slight speed boost.

I also want to add parking lots, because I need somewhere to park my tanks. :)

The Lone Wolfling
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by The Lone Wolfling »

I have a separate power suit II with one reactor, as many exos as I can fit, and the rest batteries.

Overkill? Probably. But it means I can get around my base quickly - and for long distances I hop on a train.

Marbles
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Marbles »

There is already a road mod called roadworks.

Also, moving around my base isn't a problem because everything is spaced out decently, and I can move alongside the belts or tracks. Pipes aren't a problem either because I use underground pipes just about everywhere, as should you ;)

imajor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by imajor »

I agree that this is just a minor thing, and I know there are a lot of things you can do to make it easier. My question was: am I the only one who think that the need to move the avatar everywhere in the base is a weary part of the game inside a base?

Xecutor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xecutor »

Exactly for the purpose of moving around I've made a mod Telepads :)

imajor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by imajor »

That is a great idea, but what would make me happy is if I could simply scroll anywhere easily inside my base without the need for checking where the avatar is, what is blocking it etc.. I want to build/check the base, and not finding paths (I know it is trivial, but it still distracts me)

scootzter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by scootzter »

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

I have a large train network that handles importing vast quantities of raw materials. I just have a supply/builder train that I ride around and set its default trainstop to the resupply dump.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

imajor wrote:That is a great idea, but what would make me happy is if I could simply scroll anywhere easily inside my base without the need for checking where the avatar is, what is blocking it etc.. I want to build/check the base, and not finding paths (I know it is trivial, but it still distracts me)
Exactly that is possible in the sandbox mode. (Well, not in version 0.11, but I think that will be reimplemented.)
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

imajor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by imajor »

Thanks. Somehow I've never tried sandbox mode before. 0.11.1 was crashing, after updated to 0.11.3 it is no longer crashing, but I still have the avatar. So I guess that is something they are working on currently.

But I wasn't exactly looking for this. When it comes to fight with the bitters, or just exploring areas, or just creating a new outpost, the avatar must be there. It is part of the game to pack up stuff in your inventory, and then travel to the new outpost to build it up. I like that a lot. When the avatar starts to annoy me is when I go back to my base, where there are absolutely no bitters, and the avatar is just getting in the way. So maybe if I could have a facility at the center of the base which I just jump into with my avatar (like if it was a vehicle), and then that would switch to a sandbox mode at a given area around the facility (which would typically cover the base)

Return to “General discussion”