How big is/are your logistic network(s)?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

How big is/are your logistic network(s)?

Post by Tinyboss »

I'm in my first late game, and I'm finding that my logistic network isn't doing everything I'd hope for. I'm sure it's a combination of "there are more optimizations to come" and "I'm doing it wrong".

I have a single giant walled-in base. I used to haul in iron and copper from elsewhere, but I recently annexed some big deposits of each, so my main base is now totally self-sufficient. I've started to make my evenly-spaced grid of roboports, and so far I've been lining them up so the orange (logistic) areas just barely connect. But as my logistic network gets bigger and bigger geographically, I'm finding it to be less efficient. It can take a loooong time to get some steel that I request via my player logistic slots. And maybe I don't get it at all, but as soon as I run to the other side of my base, here it comes. I am 100% sure all the areas connect--I see all the yellow dotted lines.

Is there an upper limit to the effective size of a logistic network? I'm thinking of re-organizing my base into sub-zones each with their own logistic network. Do people do that? Or should the giant logistic network be working better than it is?

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: How big is/are your logistic network(s)?

Post by BurnHard »

1300 roboports at the moment :D But the area, where logistic chests are placed, is within 2-3 screens As you say, long distances would cause too much delay

Be sure to have all researches done, regarding robots flying speed etc.
Attachments
Screenshot 2014-11-23 21.50.36.jpg
Screenshot 2014-11-23 21.50.36.jpg (246.4 KiB) Viewed 3734 times
Last edited by BurnHard on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ccik
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ccik »

I try to avoid moving large quantities of stuff around with robots. Especially when my base gets larger, robots need to recharge more often, which slows everything down. But i think the logistic robot system still has it's uses. Mostly for a short "burst" of materials. I use the system to load trains with walls, repair packs, turrets and fuel. I don't need much of that stuff, my production sites are usually far away from the train station, and if i need some supplies, it normally takes a while before i will need this again. A huge belt across the factory just takes a lot of space, and has a lot of unused items stored. With the robots, i can control this a little better.
As soon as i need a steady supply of a specific item, i go with belts. The storage on the belt does not matter that much, because i will need it soon.

As for my setup, i also tend to just barely align the orange areas with each other. I don't bother with the player logistic slots that much, i rather go and fetch the stuff i want myself, than to wait for the robots.

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

AFAIK there is no upper limit to the the size of a logistic network.

You have to consider that the robots are also stopping at a robo port once in a while to rechanrge and that takes a while. Waiting several minutes in a large enough base is common.

I don't think the best solution to the problem is to make a lot of sub logistic networks, but rather to make a more space efficient design, that doesn't require the robots to travel that far.
Waste of bytes : P

darkorbit
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by darkorbit »

BurnHard wrote:1300 roboports at the moment :D But the area, where logistic chests are placed, is within 2-3 screens As you say, long distances would cause too much delay

Be sure to have all researches done, regarding robots flying speed etc.
And I thought our base was getting big xD This screenshot is awesome :lol:

Eurofighter1200
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Eurofighter1200 »

1,3 K Roboports thats really awesome and the energy consumption wow in my Game ther is only 3 K Solar iwant to see your solarfields ;)

The Lone Wolfling
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by The Lone Wolfling »

Mine is too big currently - I'm in the midst of splitting it into multiple subnetworks with train connections.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

The map i am playing on has 3 (walls+) logistic networks

1) logistic network mane bass 20 + 20 Robocharge
2) logistic network Furnace aer 9
3) logistic network Train stations 4 + 10 Robocharge
4+) walls+ 1 to 4 Roboport with train lins for items. an mune as i ned

Robot Charging Station https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=3798

WoodyDaOcas
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by WoodyDaOcas »

BurnHard wrote:1300 roboports at the moment :D.
make some album with couple screen, I would like to learn more about the game :) I am planning with all DyTech modules that are compatible with MP on 0.11 and it's hard with warfare, I keep dying :D So I did not see much of the endgame, don't be shy to brag about a bit :) thanks!

JackGruff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JackGruff »

BurnHard wrote:1300 roboports at the moment...
How long does it take to save on that map?

Return to “General discussion”