Challenge Idea: The 1000-Of-Everything-Factory!

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Challenge Idea: The 1000-Of-Everything-Factory!

Post by GewaltSam »

That's just something that was in my head for some time: Build a factory that has at least 1000 of everything (at least everything possible) in storage.

I don't know if it is even possible without losing ones mind. The factory has to be huge, and to be able to handle a LOT of resources. the biggest resource eaters would be roboports (45k advanced circuits and steel alone), T3 factories, rocket defense and modules of course. And there may be a lot of crazy expensive things that I don't recall at the moment.
Hunting fish should also be frustrating as hell :D Imagine right-clicking 1000 of those things out of lakes... But one could argue that fish is not "produced" per se and not part of the equation because of that.

What do you guys think? Could that be a thing?

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Challenge Idea: The 1000-Of-Everything-Factory!

Post by Nova »

The biggest ressource eater would be the rocket defense, the roboport should be no problem at all (if you can perfom the 1000 rocket defenses). 100000 alien artifacts, 100000 processing units (blue circuits), 150000 advanced circuits... You need (values from the wiki) 73000000 copper plates. Have fun extracting them. (If you have 1000 Mining drills, you still need over 36 hours just to mine the ore. (Not taking modules into account.))
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

My factory produces between 300-1000 of most resources. I am mining iron deposits faster than I can build them to keep up with demand. I have 4 trains bringing in 4 cargo wagons of supplies each every delivery and that still isnt enough. I need to expand my production but my severe lack of iron plates is slowing me down. I am currently expanding my rail network and exterminating the native population to try to get more iron deposits.

It is quite fun :D.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Less insane challenge idea: 10 of Everything Factory.
Rocket Defense, Power Armor MK2s.
Everything else is simple and fast for any factory that can manage those.

Bonus points: 10 functionally useful Logistic networks, as well as 10 active rail lines.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

Okay, well, maybe some more research would have been a good idea ;)
Hmm... 100 of everything should be possible though; 10 of everything isn't too hard, that should be the first target I guess. I have to admit i wanted to build REALLY huge for a while now, but never got to it - I wanted to wait for multiplayer, and I guess the map I am playing right now is the first where I see the potential to go insanely big.

Well, 10(0) of everything, then? :)

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

I'm pretty sure even 100+ hour games are going to have trouble getting all the artifacts required for 100 of everything.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

Well after 42h gameplay (with A LOT of just messing around) I am stockpiling nearly 13.000 artifacts (so 100 rocket defences already possible). So If someone really wants 100k artifacts it should be a matter of 5-10 hours collecting.
Screenshot 2014-11-23 22.08.20.jpg
Screenshot 2014-11-23 22.08.20.jpg (81.33 KiB) Viewed 4916 times
The roboports would be really no problem, at the moment I have 1300 roboports placed :D
... among a lot of solar panels and accus.
Screenshot 2014-11-23 21.50.36.jpg
Screenshot 2014-11-23 21.50.36.jpg (246.4 KiB) Viewed 4918 times

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Fair enough, though I have to ask if you used stock settings, or (as I suspect) you turned up the biter freq/size/density?

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (123.53 KiB) Viewed 4889 times

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

Tbh then i don't see the point of this challenge. There is nothing hard in getting 10, 100 or even 1000 of everything. It's just gonna take more time to get from 100 of everything to 1000 of everything. Right?

Well maybe it would be pretty cool to have 1000 of everything 8-)
Waste of bytes : P

PharAway
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PharAway »

BurnHard wrote:Well after 42h gameplay (with A LOT of just messing around) I am stockpiling nearly 13.000 artifacts (so 100 rocket defences already possible). So If someone really wants 100k artifacts it should be a matter of 5-10 hours collecting.
Screenshot 2014-11-23 22.08.20.jpg
The roboports would be really no problem, at the moment I have 1300 roboports placed :D
... among a lot of solar panels and accus.
Screenshot 2014-11-23 21.50.36.jpg

Wow.... 12k artifacts...

Also, my twitter handle is @PharAway05

Check us out on face book at Phar Away Gaming

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Yea, even on a ~50 hr game that seems pretty high, hence my question about map settings.
Not that I blame him for reducing travel times by making artifacts denser, or hives more frequent, but measuring difficulty against anything other than a default settings game kind of defeats the point. (Unless of course, the settings are explicitly stated in the challenge, etc.)

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

keyboardhack wrote:Tbh then i don't see the point of this challenge. There is nothing hard in getting 10, 100 or even 1000 of everything. It's just gonna take more time to get from 100 of everything to 1000 of everything. Right?

Well, you COULD wait it out, or build the structures to speed that process up... AND it is pretty cool :geek:

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

Going to have to agree with n9103, How do you plan on getting 1000 rocket defence?

You should show us map screenies, i really wanna see the resources you are going for.

And how much productivity are you using?
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

GewaltSam wrote:
keyboardhack wrote:Tbh then i don't see the point of this challenge. There is nothing hard in getting 10, 100 or even 1000 of everything. It's just gonna take more time to get from 100 of everything to 1000 of everything. Right?

Well, you COULD wait it out, or build the structures to speed that process up... AND it is pretty cool :geek:
That is ofcource true, but at some point it's not possible to expand anymore, because you can't make mining posts fast enough to keep a steady supply of everything. At that point it's basicly a waiting game and i will argue that it isn't that hard to reach that limit if that's what you are aiming for. If you reach that limit when you have say 100 of everything, then there is no point in going furter right?
Waste of bytes : P

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

keyboardhack wrote:
GewaltSam wrote:

That is ofcource true, but at some point it's not possible to expand anymore, because you can't make mining posts fast enough to keep a steady supply of everything. At that point it's basicly a waiting game and i will argue that it isn't that hard to reach that limit if that's what you are aiming for. If you reach that limit when you have say 100 of everything, then there is no point in going furter right?
I have to completely agree with that; I didn't calculate anything before I posted the idea, and I revised in a later post that 10-of-everything or 100-of-everything would be a much better idea. I should change the thread title :) But I wanted to wait if there's enough potential, and maybe some finer rules to this challenge.

Right now, there are some nice ideas for challenges, but none of them go very big (most go for speed - like the 10 hour rocket defense challenge). But then, I am not following the factorio reddit; maybe there someone came up with a better idea :)

Return to “General discussion”