New biter graphics make hunting difficult (pic)

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
building44
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

New biter graphics make hunting difficult (pic)

Post by building44 »

Here's a pic of what I mean: https://i.imgur.com/KMzRqa4.jpg

I can't "go hunting" anymore without it just feeling wrong. In all seriousness, am I the only one that feels this way? The antagonist should be worthy of a fight, otherwise I'm just a monster. I can't play like this.

kovarex please help.
Last edited by building44 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: New biter graphics make hunting difficult (pic)

Post by Oktokolo »

building44 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:50 pm
The protagonist should be worthy of a fight, otherwise I'm just a monster.
Switch to artillery. It autoaims from far away so you don't have to see what you kill.

building44
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by building44 »

Right, but what about early game?

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

building44 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:53 pm
Right, but what about early game?
Play with a big starting zone and rush science. Then you might get to artillery before you need to expand into biter territory.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Disable them.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

building44 wrote:
I can't "go hunting" anymore without it just feeling wrong. In all seriousness, am I the only one that feels this way?
Can you kill balls? https://mods.factorio.com/mod/BallBiters

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

building44 wrote:

I can't "go hunting" anymore without it just feeling wrong. In all seriousness, am I the only one that feels this way? The antagonist should be worthy of a fight, otherwise I'm just a monster. I can't play like this.

kovarex please help.
I like arthropods in real life, try to make my garden better place for them to live and avoid killing them if they does not cause severe threat to my health or property. At some way it feels bad to kill arthropod like enemies in Factorio too, but it is game and I have no problem to be a virtual bad guy. However, I leave large biter protection zones in my rail worlds. Areas of about 500-1000 m size and enclosed with defense walls.

k-Knight
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by k-Knight »

Hannu wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:33 am
building44 wrote:

kovarex please help.
I like arthropods in real life, try to make my garden better place for them to live and avoid killing them if they does not cause severe threat to my health or property. At some way it feels bad to kill arthropod like enemies in Factorio too, but it is game and I have no problem to be a virtual bad guy. However, I leave large biter protection zones in my rail worlds. Areas of about 500-1000 m size and enclosed with defense walls.
Protection zones. This sounds funny (no offense). The defense walls make your "protection zone" appear more like a dedicated slaughter area.

bartekltg
Inserter
Inserter

Post by bartekltg »

building44 wrote:
The antagonist should be worthy of a fight, otherwise I'm just a monster.
But... you are. You commit an Insectocide, because they are in your way to get more rockets per minute. The bugs aren't villains, they are animals that try to defend themselves from a huge stinking colony that emits something that is killing forest and a predator that roll over their nest, full of eggs and larvae, with a tank.
How the look of the bugs would change anything? Is killing Koala, because you want a forest, much different that killing less cute rare animals?
Devs have to make NPCs ugly because we can kill ugly.

;-)

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

k-Knight wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:56 am
Protection zones. This sounds funny (no offense).
It is funny.
The defense walls make your "protection zone" appear more like a dedicated slaughter area.
In some sense yes. Longer defense lines and biter colonies inside heavily polluted area gives little bit more action in the game, which is little bit too simple and straightforward (especially vanilla). But I do not use resources on those areas or destroy nests.

k-Knight
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by k-Knight »

Hannu wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:20 am
But I do not use resources on those areas or destroy nests.
If I wanted to make a peaceful biter colony (more or less) this is what I would do:
  1. Wall off area
  2. Destroy nests that rest on resources, but not all, so they can spread back afterwards (more smaller nests look more natural imo)
  3. Mine all resources out, then remove all mining equipment
  4. Now this zone will no longer produce pollution by itself, therefore less bitter attacks
This way your biter reservation areas can be more peaceful and biter deaths will be kept to a minimum.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Wait, so do people think the devs were joking about making them cute or not?
Because, although I am not arachnophobia or w/e, they are honestly creepier now than they were.
Frikkin legs or something, not sure.

Given what they looked like in that friday facts, I thought it was obvious sarcasm, but now I'm not so sure.... Do people find that cute?

Still, if people find them cute, and that makes it harder to want to kill them, thats all for the better, adding a new dimension to the game. After all, you don't HAVE to kill them as much anymore. Alien artifacts don't exist, and with pollution kinda working more or less correctly now, you might be able to annoy them less given some effort.
-----

In any case, if dwarf fortress taught anyone anything, its that videogames bring out the worst in people, albeit only in the space of said videogame and discussions about such. See mermaid farming.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

TheBloke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheBloke »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:35 pm
Wait, so do people think the devs were joking about making them cute or not?
Because, although I am not arachnophobia or w/e, they are honestly creepier now than they were.
Frikkin legs or something, not sure.
Don't know if they were joking but yeah the legs make them look far creepier in my view. It's something about them... scuttling around. A word that itself is creepy, 'scuttling'. Just brings to mind lots of creepy crawly ugh things :)

I'm not really scared or phobic toward any bugs in general; I don't mind the odd spider around the house. But yeah something about the new biters just makes me want to kill them all the more. Definitely not 'cute'!

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

TheBloke wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:17 pm
Don't know if they were joking but yeah the legs make them look far creepier in my view. It's something about them... scuttling around. A word that itself is creepy, 'scuttling'. Just brings to mind lots of creepy crawly ugh things :)

I'm not really scared or phobic toward any bugs in general; I don't mind the odd spider around the house. But yeah something about the new biters just makes me want to kill them all the more. Definitely not 'cute'!
Yea. Insects and other bugs are creepy. That, and when at human scale, really, really creepy. There is a reason so many evil aliens in fiction are insectoid. They look fundamentally inhuman, moreso than mammals do even. Aside from the "too many limbs" and decidedly differently structured limbs, their carapace (instead of skin or fur), 'soulless' black/compound eyes, and.... mouths.... , and, well, do I really need to go on? I just can't anthropomorphize them.

Now sure, they are insects that are cute. Butterflies, Some types of bees, countered by how dangerous bees are (somewhat), and plenty of fuzzy spiders and others in that vein. These.... Do not qualify. At all. Urgh.....

Lets just say I don't feel guilty at all setting them all on fire. I never did, and still don't.

Now if you used Carbot zerglings as a base......
Puppy behavior, big expressive eyes, and generally hitting lots of cute buttons. Won't stop me from killing them, but I might feel mildly uncomfortable. Which would be an achievement, given how difficult it is for me to feel anything

-----

At least the spawners are more creepy than disgusting now. Just need to tone down the worm's roar and it will be all good. That would make a great, long range indicator of behemoth worms sieging your base, but a bit excessive for small worms.

-----
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

building44
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by building44 »

See the problem is that under normal game play, you have to kill them. Otherwise they will kill you.

You are given no other option.

I am fine with this, but forcing me to destroy something like this makes the game no fun.

I have played Factorio since the beginning, and want to continue, but this is too much. Why not just make the biters look like puppies in 0.18?

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Are you suggesting you dont think shooting puppies and setting them on fire is a wholesome and family friendly activity that we all enjoy? /sarcasm

But seriously, how can you possibly find those fetting things cute?
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

You can make them to look like cats :
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/catmod

Butterflies are only "cute" because you don't see them up close :
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:12 am
Butterflies are only "cute" because you don't see them up close :
But the example butterfly closeup is cute.

Return to “General discussion”