Disabled Gamer

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
zombiepuppet
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Disabled Gamer

Post by zombiepuppet »

Are you able to play this game as a point and click? I'm disabled and the only games I can pretty much play are point and click games. Factorio looks like a great game.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Disabled Gamer

Post by Boogieman14 »

Moving around is done with WASD. Other than those, I think I mostly make use of Q and E (rather extensively, I think even). Don't think there's a mouse-only alternative for movement.
(*edit* because theres a lot of things you do without thinking about it) Actually, I also use R and F quite often, and various combinations of shift- or ctrl-clicking.

But you might just want to grab the demo and see if that'll work for you, I'm pretty sure that'll give you a much better idea of how well it's suited for your way of controlling.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

I hardly doubt it'll be an easy task to do so. I'd certainly recommend you to set to aliens not attack first, since combat can be quite tricky (at least in my head).

Other than that, there's not much other recommendation I could give you besides following boogie's idea.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

There's not much you can do with point-and-click. The 6 most important commands are bound to keyboard buttons, including movement. The 2 mouse buttons are also used a lot.

Movement is inaccurate, you often run too far and have to press a different key to backtrack. It's really annoying if you can only press one key at a time with an onscreen keyboard.

I don't think it would be very fun.

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LordFedora »

If you have a mouse with a ton of buttons, you might get away with it but...

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I jump in here, cause I'm also a bit disabled, no feeling in one of my fingers.
Meanwhile I've arranged this for me as good as possible. The most annoying for me is the f-key. I moved it to the 4th mouse button, and the double function of the q-key (moved to mouse button 5 to change weapon).

But if you have only an arm, well, that gets really difficult. Not kidding here.

I would wish something like "modes", I think the built-mode is possible with a mouse-only, if the mouse has some more buttons. I can think about a war-mode, where the functions of the weapons changes slightly, to enable this.

Related links:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ers#p11958

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=6&t=775

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=6&t=722
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

I can currently use only one arm (sports are healthy, right?), and playing factorio like that is mostly possible. Wverything is a little slower, and fighting is almost impossible (but you can always use turret creep or ridiculously overpowered power armor). It might help to remap controls (especially Q and E) somewhere nearer to your mouse hand.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

I belive playing in God-mode (Sandbox scenario if I'm not mistaken) would be easy enough becouse in that mode you don't have ingame character which you need to move around using keyboard.
But having mouse with aditional buttons would be verry benefitial so that you can map athleast:
- E for opening and closing inventory
- Q for quickly deselectig current item from your hand.
- T for opening technology screen
Everything else can already be done with mouse itself already when in god-mode.

NOTE: Good-mode scenario is only available in full game and not in demo version.

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

My friend has a mouse with 16 buttons. You may be able to find a mouse with enough buttons to remap everything to your mouse.

Martc
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Martc »

I was thinking about this when I was eating my ice cream and wasn't able to move my character :) . In MMOs you have usually option to press both mouse buttons simultaneously to walk. I think this option will work in Factorio too.
When you press both mouse buttons character will go in cursor direction, it is not useful for fighting but it can work for construction.

Raz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Raz »

it is also possible to use rebind programs such as autohotkey, to make your middle mouse button emulate WASD to the relative mouse position on the screen. say click to the left press A, click upper right corner press W+D etc. you can further extent the script so that you can move the mouse freely while still moving. that way you can play entirely with your mouse and still battle those bugs.

Return to “General discussion”