The new (enemy) graphics look sterile

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

How do you find the graphics of the new enemies?

Good
54%
Okay
28%
Not so good
15%
Bad
4%

Total votes: 123

ownlyme
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

The new (enemy) graphics look sterile

Post by ownlyme »

I really hate the new biters, they don't fit the style of the game..
Also they look kinda cheap and sterile.
I also don't agree with the course of making them "cute"...
They don't look cute anyway, more like they were stolen from a kid's game.
Anyway i don't want to find them cute, since they are the enemy and there is nothing else you can do with them except to kill them.
I would go on with the other new graphics, for example that the trees are terribly oversaturated or the entire graphics engine has it's gamma setting increased for some reason but that's not the point right now.
So lets just discuss the look of the new biters, spitters, worms and spawners right now.
(maybe the new worms look pretty okay, but they could also be more textured / dirtier looking...)

I'm asking because it's a toooooonnn of work to make bloody corpses for my gore mod and i definitively want to do it 2 more times in case they change them again..

edit: i made a mod that fixes these issues: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/0_16_graphics
Last edited by ownlyme on Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mods.factorio.com/user/ownlyme
My requests: uiAbove||Grenade arc||Blueprint allies||Creeps forget command/ don't get removed||Player Modifiers||textbox::selection||Better Heat IF||Singleplayer RCON||tank bug w/ min_range >= projectile_creation_distance

xng
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: The new (enemy) graphics look sterile

Post by xng »

I think the graphics looks good and well done, but the biters turned into robots. In 0.16 they looked more organic and alive.

VolvoxGlobator
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by VolvoxGlobator »

For me it is mostly worms - they look flat and the shiny reflection somehow doesn't work for me.

sarcolopter
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sarcolopter »

new worms, biters, nests look better than old versions

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

The new nest looks so flat and honestly much worse.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

They mostly just lack shadows for any sense of depth. They're too bright and thus look very simple and flat.

makrom
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by makrom »

I am not too happy about how similar biters and spitters look now.
In general I think the new graphics look better, but the old ones felt more in touch with the game graphic style.

DustFireSky
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DustFireSky »

The high-res biters are good, but they don't fit in the normal game graphics. They are too bright. Something is missing. I am not an designer, but i recognize and see it by myself that they don't fit with the other game-style-look. Each other object in the game fits perfect with the environment. Not the biters. It needs some revision.

theolderbeholder
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by theolderbeholder »

Of course they do not "fit the environment". That is what you have all those fancy guns for :mrgreen:

DustFireSky
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DustFireSky »

Sure, but u are the intruder, not the aliens. So, nuke yourself ? :lol:

theolderbeholder
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by theolderbeholder »

DustFireSky wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:33 am
Sure, but u are the intruder, not the aliens. So, nuke yourself ? :lol:
Lets not get into technicalities here, yes? :)

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

Having played 1.7, I have to say I agree with OP about the new enemy graphics, almost down to the word. They do not look good. Factorio has great graphics, but these are definitely a step backwards. This applies to all enemy units and buildings.

I believe the main issue is that they don't feel organic, as mentioned, and their designs aren't as interesting as the old ones. They could probably work, but as was also mentioned by others, their graphics feel like they lack depth.

I struggle to find anything that I like about them more. They create a bit more contrast now than the old ones, but in 50h of playing, I never once felt the game suffered from any lack of clarity or contrast in its graphics. Higher resolution is of course an improvement, but good looks are more important than resolution.

It's almost like they have a slightly cartoony look to them, which I find fits neither Factorio's art style nor its atmosphere.

The changes in how enemy projectiles work, though, is welcome, as it adds depth to fighting the enemy.

Kostriktor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kostriktor »

ownlyme wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:05 pm
they look kinda cheap and sterile
agree. they should look dirty and savage. they are basically the redskins and we are the amerikenski.

mudcrabempire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mudcrabempire »

My main problem lies with the biters (the actual "biters", the melee dudes). More precisely, their mosquito-like long, thin legs.

Biters are big and fat. Even the smallest ones are bigger than the player. The "long, thin leg" patent which is typical for many insects (insects are small!) simply cannot physically support creatures of that size. This creates a weird feedback, where I look at a biter and all I see is a little bug, not a giant behemoth that's about to quite literally run over my factory. They don't look threatening.

BEEFE
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BEEFE »

My main reaction was that spitters are finally as cute as biters, which rules. Biters were sort of a lateral move, since I liked their old saucer eyes and the skinny legs are a little off-putting, but I like that we can see their shrimpy faces now.

The spawners are way less grody (I liked the grody egginess) but the roots make them feel a lot more integrated with the environment than before.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Kostriktor wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 5:19 pm
agree. they should look dirty and savage. they are basically the redskins and we are the amerikenski.
Have you ever watched insects? Most of them are always clean. They clean themselves carefully to avoid health problems. In my opinion it is very natural that biters keep themselves clean too.

BEEFE
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BEEFE »

Hannu wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:14 am
Have you ever watched insects? Most of them are always clean. They clean themselves carefully to avoid health problems. In my opinion it is very natural that biters keep themselves clean too.
That must be why they hate pollution :{}

TheOnefinn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TheOnefinn »

mudcrabempire wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 4:44 pm
The "long, thin leg" patent which is typical for many insects (insects are small!) simply cannot physically support creatures of that size.
what makes you think that gravity is anywhere near earth like?

mudcrabempire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mudcrabempire »

TheOnefinn wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:23 am
what makes you think that gravity is anywhere near earth like?
1: If not specifically said otherwise, generic gravity is earth-like (basic assumption in any work of fiction).
2: If gravity were drastically different, all machines would need to be redesigned (and on very low gravity you wouldn't need a high-tech rocket to get away).
3: In order to permit elephant-sized bugs to walk around on stilt-legs, you would need gravity way below that of the moon. You cannot walk there, the way your character does (check out how people move on the moon, its more of a jumping/floating around).

benwillard
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by benwillard »

i've never have so much time to see them but dead. Anyway they could be lamas, giant tartigrads, or vegetables. Spiders being probably the best choice :) anyway it's "skinnable".

For the questions about gravity, anyway this planet has been terraformed at some point in the past, as it has trees. Big insects are possible on Earth gravity, if they're not in chitin but in some stronger material.

Return to “General discussion”