Ore mining setup

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

How do you mine ore patches

Least mines possible
13%
Cram as many mines together
80%
Do you even think about that?
7%

Total votes: 55

Typerim
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Ore mining setup

Post by Typerim »

So how do you all set up mining?

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Ore mining setup

Post by 5thHorseman »

I like to cram 'em together, so the ore patch produces as much as possible and is exhausted as quickly as possible. I consider both of these positives for different reasons.

Getting as much ore per second from a patch means I don't have to expand as fast. Exhausting the mine means that when I do expand, I can use that space for other purposes.

Rjskeet
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rjskeet »

cram them on a deposit for max throughput and then i have like 4 of the same deposit for longevity.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Typically I left 2 tiles between miners except of belt side. It gives nice room for electric poles, running, sometimes even railways. I think there is no real advantage to put maximum numbers of miners, at least in normal situations. I have to build same number of outposts in any case during long run.

Rjskeet
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rjskeet »

Hannu wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:51 am
Typically I left 2 tiles between miners except of belt side. It gives nice room for electric poles, running, sometimes even railways. I think there is no real advantage to put maximum numbers of miners, at least in normal situations. I have to build same number of outposts in any case during long run.
Hannu have you every seen those fractal mining setups that mine the whole deposit evenly ? You seem like the type to like those and I could never figure them out for large scale deposits

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Usually I do one row between miners for power poles. On small patches I put the miners next to each other and place the poles within the output belt using undergrounds

Krazykrl
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Krazykrl »

Serenity wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:54 pm
Usually I do one row between miners for power poles. On small patches I put the miners next to each other and place the poles within the output belt using undergrounds
I always use the same BP for miners, it works very well until doing something like full bots or direct-drill-to-traincar.
Miners

Antaios
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Antaios »

Krazykrl wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:39 pm
I always use the same BP for miners, it works very well until doing something like full bots or direct-drill-to-traincar.
Miners
Inserting into underground belts?
That's blashpemy in my factory!

I'll typically have 1 spacing between everything, empty rows get medium power poles behind every 2nd miner, or autotorio set to 1 spacing.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Direct.... Direct drill to traincar?
What?
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:08 pm
What?
Direct insertion from mining drill to wagon I guess
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Koub wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:51 pm
Direct insertion from mining drill to wagon I guess
[/quote]
Well yea, but... Why? That would be so inefficient.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Rjskeet
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rjskeet »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
What?
When you have high levels of mining production it's faster to just Park the train on the deposit then to belt everything.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Rjskeet wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:54 pm
Ranakastrasz wrote:
What?
When you have high levels of mining production it's faster to just Park the train on the deposit then to belt everything.
Huh. That would have to be some really extreme production. I generally would expect to see provider chests and robots at that point. I just can't imagine productivity so high that parking your train in the middle of the deposit would make sense, compared to funneling it all into chests first. I mean, I don't think you can get more than 4 miners feeding a car, and it can hold like 10k ore. Even if it produced 10x as fast due to an insanely massive productivity boost, it would still take around 4 minutes.

Is there an example that explains this insanity?
-----

In my games, I generally play coop, and my friend tends to setup the mining, defenses, and outposts, while I do the forge, bus, and a lot of the production. They pretty much use a linear, skip one tile between each row of miners, one for the belt, the other for the power. Not maximum density, or even close, but yea.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

DecJunkie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DecJunkie »

If you put one miner on each side of the Traincar and 5 beacons around it and put Speed 3 modules in everything you end up with 2 mines running at 400% Speed and then you add on a high level of mining productivity you can fill a train a lot quicker than you think. You still would end up with more trains overall but the trade off is more trains but no belts/robots/storage required at the mining site.

xfir01
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by xfir01 »

DecJunkie wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:54 pm
If you put one miner on each side of the Traincar and 5 beacons around it and put Speed 3 modules in everything you end up with 2 mines running at 400% Speed and then you add on a high level of mining productivity you can fill a train a lot quicker than you think. You still would end up with more trains overall but the trade off is more trains but no belts/robots/storage required at the mining site.
Ok, I can buy that, but wouldn't you end up having to keep moving the mining setup once the ore under the miner runs out?

*goes to take a second look at Bob's large area mining drills*

T-A-R
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by T-A-R »

That really depends on the situation. Wheter i want i cleared asap, or that i want to set up a 'long term' field. It also depends on the supply of power and the miners itself.

Rjskeet
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rjskeet »

Ranakastrasz wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:33 pm
Rjskeet wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:54 pm
Ranakastrasz wrote:
What?
Huh. That would have to be some really extreme production. I generally would expect to see provider chests and robots at that point. I just can't imagine productivity so high that parking your train in the middle of the deposit would make sense, compared to funneling it all into chests first. I mean, I don't think you can get more than 4 miners feeding a car, and it can hold like 10k ore. Even if it produced 10x as fast due to an insanely massive productivity boost, it would still take around 4 minutes.

Is there an example that explains this insanity?
-----

In my games, I generally play coop, and my friend tends to setup the mining, defenses, and outposts, while I do the forge, bus, and a lot of the production. They pretty much use a linear, skip one tile between each row of miners, one for the belt, the other for the power. Not maximum density, or even close, but yea.
Clustorio did it, mining productivity lvl 6000 or somethin instantly fills up a train car,

Krazykrl
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Krazykrl »

You need mining productivity level 1,905+ (1,539+ for stone) for each drill to saturate one side of a blue belt. Of course you could use logistics bots, but if you're that late into the game; UPS is probably a concern... and you can't get much more efficient than a parked train right on the drills.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Well.... I see. That is a lot of productivity.
Wow.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Return to “General discussion”