Accidentially made 42K repair packs... now what?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
shodan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Accidentially made 42K repair packs... now what?

Post by shodan »

Hello all, it seems I forgot to limit my repair pack production and I now have 42K repair packs.

Any suggestions on what to do with this?

Can I automate getting rid in some interesting way?

Would appreciate comments or ideas. Thank you.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Accidentially made 42K repair packs... now what?

Post by astroshak »

Stop making more and let them be used by defense stations that are repairing walls after biter attacks?

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Takes a lot of biter attacks to use those up

There are recycling mods to deconstruct items. Like this:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/reverse-factory

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

they are also used in Nanobots

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Base game you got 2 options:
  • Repair stuff with them.
  • Box 'em and destroy 'em.
I personally would make a little "repair supply" depot, to supply all "defense" bot stations. At least, you don't have to worry about repair for the rest of the game :D

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

5thHorseman wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:01 pm
Base game you got 2 3 options:
  • Repair stuff with them.
  • Box 'em and destroy 'em.
I personally would make a little "repair supply" depot, to supply all "defense" bot stations. At least, you don't have to worry about repair for the rest of the game :D
make a train that endlessly bumps into a closed gate, with a repair station close
well, its kinda option 1, but you dont need biters for it

You could even control that gate, once repair packs are down to 1k, you open the gate and let the train arrive at a station that has a speaker and announces its job done
should be a nice beginners guide to circuits and will forever (well, not really :roll: ) remind you to somehow control your assembler outputs :mrgreen:

ledow
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ledow »

It's quite tricky to setup and I doubt I still have the save, but for one game where I had a load of leftover stuff I did this:

- Managed to find a HUGE island, totally surrounded by water, with aliens on it.
- I built all around the island without actually joining to it but safely out of range of anything that could shoot, and upped the pollution over it as much as possible to encourage their growth.
- I built a single-square-wide land-bridge which led towards my base.
- That land bridge pushed the aliens through a very zig-zaggy bit of wall which kept them in a nice cone.
- In the middle, I put requester chests, which were programmed on what to request via the circuit network.
- Behind that there were half-a-dozen flamethrowers, always kept filled up, aimed so that they hit the requester chests and the incoming aliens.
- When the aliens were sufficiently annoyed, they came through, the flamethrowers killed them all and took out whatever was in the requester chests.
- Because it was all inside bot-range, everything would get repaired if destroyed and there was a "real" defence just behind the flamethrowers.

It used up an awful lot of repair packs to repair the walls etc., and quite a few repairing bots were taken out by the aliens, but it was a nice fun automated disposal mechanism for anything I didn't want.

Other than that, not much you can do. I generally just make a single storage-chest full of each item. Only at the beginning of the game, with limited resources, do I bother to limit the maximum items one can hold. And I generally only change that to, say, make up to 8000 items even late in the game (so that a chest still has room to request whatever might be lying around in the network).

Only in extreme resource shortage do I do anything about a previous overproduction - by reducing the maximum to 200 items, which means that it starts sucking up excess stock rather than make any more.

If you need to use up repair packs, you need to create broken things in an automated way. That generally means either damaging trains (you can sort-of whack them against gates if you try hard enough, but they are then hard to replace if you go too far), or shooting at aliens and catching something in the crossfire.

christian
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by christian »

shodan wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:08 pm
Hello all, it seems I forgot to limit my repair pack production and I now have 42K repair packs.

Any suggestions on what to do with this?

Can I automate getting rid in some interesting way?

Would appreciate comments or ideas. Thank you.
Question, how did you accidentally make 10 steel chests worth of repair packs? Usually you put a 1 chest at the end of the line, did you have 10 chests just catching repair packs?

zyklame
Inserter
Inserter

Post by zyklame »

It was propably an active provider chest instead of a passive one.
So they floated the network.

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

Send them into space as care packages for the aliens!

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

fill up all roboports, buffer the rest

Xeorm
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeorm »

Personally I'd just store them for later. That's a lot of repair packs to go through, but if the game lasts long enough you might see them all get used.

But the easiest way to get rid of them would be to setup a separate spot and place a lot of chests with requests for repair packs. Then nuke it/flamethrower it/grenade it/etc. Make sure to remove the auto blueprints after.

csduff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by csduff »

This definitely made me laugh. Mostly because I have done this multiple times with other products.

Me: "What the hell am I going to do with 4800 stone furnaces?"

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

now start a new game

Return to “General discussion”