0.17 Stack size in hand behavior

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

0.17 Stack size in hand behavior

Post by Impatient »

Will it be possible to take eg 15 items into the hand and insert eg half of it into something from version 0.17 on?

I am asking this, as it was announced, that in 0.17 the tool belt will not contain stacks anymore, but be a filter of what is in the players inventory and I use the possibility of inserting specific numbers of items into things without opening them in 0.16.

1. So the first and basic question would be, what stack size the player will have in its hand. Eg if the player has 500 items which stack to 100 items in the inventory and then takes either one of the 100 stacks from the inventory or the 500 items from the toolbelt filter, what is going to be in the hand? 100 items or 500 items? And in case, it is 500 items, how does CTRL+LMB and CTRL+RMB work then?

2. The next question is: Will it be possible to build stacks of arbitrary size using the players inventory and toolbelt alone? In 0.16 the player can make a stack of arbitrary size using the toolbelt, as long as it is smaller than the maximum stack size. As I see it, it will not work.

3. Then, a scenario is: The player then uses a chest for the purpose of making a stack of arbitrary size. But if the stack from the chest is picked up, the question, what will be in the hand, arises again.

Do you have any finalized game mechanics on that topic?

Thanks guys!

Krazykrl
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: 0.17 Stack size in hand behavior

Post by Krazykrl »

1.) I'd imagine that the shortcuts still work on a per-stack basis, the toolbelt is only a pointer to your inventory... you can never hold more than one stack of any item in your hand.

2.) If you can set your inventory to not autosort items, then making arbitrary stacks should work just fine. The toolbelt is just a quick button to put a stack of items in your cursor (the FFF#278 states the first stack in inventory, so you might be able to use this for an arbitrary stack size via toolbelt.)

3.) Your hand is just your cursor, the items will just always go to your inventory... since your toolbelt is no longer a place to store items.

HurkWurk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by HurkWurk »

what hes asking, is if we right click to get half a stack, will that still work through the shortcut. i have not seen that answered yet.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I agree. During all the hand-feeding part of the game in the beginning, it's a pita to feed equally your burner mining drills and stone furnaces with the few coals you have mined, until you have enough coal to feed half stacks to every burner fueled machine.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

These are great questions,
If you're talking about the new quickbar, when I read back to the article I found this:
Clicking the shortcut, will grab the first available stack from the inventory.
So to me that means it'll act as normal, click on it you'll get the first available stack in the inventory. Shift-clicking should get you get appropriate partial amounts...
1) If you have 500 items that stack at 100, you'll get 100 on the cursor
2) Since the 0.17 quickbar will no longer be it's own space, there will be no such thing as managing stacks between the quickbar and your inventory like you say
3) Chests will likely not have shortcuts like the quickbar, so stacks of items will act just the same as you are picking directly from your inventory

Source: Friday Facts #278 - The new quickbar

P.S. Toolbelt is the researched technology adding the second quickbar row. I couldn't resist the nitpick :p

sarcolopter
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sarcolopter »

yes, works the same as in 16

Return to “General discussion”