Who brought you to factorio?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
ImTheRealSlayer
Inserter
Inserter

Who brought you to factorio?

Post by ImTheRealSlayer »

I started off as a viewer wathing a lets play series on a youtube channel called ProJaredPlays and i was hooked straight away. I downloaded the demo and i played it for HOURS on end, trying to build the biggest and most wonderful factory in the vast space that the devs wonderfully gave me (thank you Wube)

So, who influenced you to join us?

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Who brought you to factorio?

Post by GrumpyJoe »

Youtuber Toxictimewaster(Ryan)

Was watching Rimworld series, browsed through playlists and found an old (i think 0.13/14) Factorio playlist.

Bought the game after the 2nd episode of watching. Failed, horribly. Watched another 10 hours of other Youtubers. 2500h since Oct. 2017 :shock: :roll: :lol:

Blinky
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Blinky »

I noticed a friend of mine was playing it a lot on Steam, after several weeks of myself and a few others in our friend group making fun of him for playing a game that sounds like work etc, I watched the trailer and then downloaded the demo. Bought the game the same day, along with the rest of the group.

It's now my most played game on Steam :D
ImageImage

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

This stream by Zisteau convinced me to buy the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spFI-amOkXo
At the time I was looking for a "puzzle/logic game that also had some kind of threat so you had an incentive to complete the puzzle" and when I saw that stream I knew that I had found what I was looking for :)

I am however pretty sure that I saw the game before that (also on Zisteau's channel) because I vaguely remember watching him use the faster belt corner technique that was common before version 0.12. But my memory of that is very fuzzy; I must have been 15 when I saw that and I barely understood English back then.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Not a clue. Probably someone in the Minecraft forum. I got to a point in that game where all I wanted to do was automate stuff and I was constantly frustrated.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

I stumbled across NegativeRoot's Break the Game series with Colonel Will and Madzuri. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH-EQrL ... yKYSjHI3gX
After a few episodes I was hooked and started playing myself. Having learned enough from watching this series to skip right past spaghetti phase into a somewhat proper laid out base. I still cringe at the screenshots of my first base though. :lol:

Edit: Rewatching the vids now this seems like such a long time ago.

Sente
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Sente »

The trailer was what brought me to Factorio. As soon as I saw that trailer, I wanted it. That was when it first came onto Steam. I can't wait to see if they'll update the trailer for v1.0. I think at the end it should include the Factorio sign in-game and fade out to the official Factorio logo. I really loved the transitions which made me think "Hmm, what's going on here?" Then I saw the trains and my eyebrow shot up. Then the best part that made me want to purchase it immediately, trains running over aliens :shock: :mrgreen: 2200+ hours later, still love it.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

I think my son-in-law found it first, and when my daughter saw him playing it, she messaged me right away: "Mom, I think I found a game you will like." After ahem mumble thousands of hours later, I still love it. Thank you Mostly Harmless and Inflicting MHz <3
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

CGP Grey, mentioned in one of his podcasts.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Funny enough, I answered this question here : viewtopic.php?p=62153#p62153
Also, once been advised to have a look at Factorio, I watched the first trailer, and bought the game right after
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Trebor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Trebor »

I also have to blame my son-in-law for this addiction.

FrodoOf9Fingers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FrodoOf9Fingers »

I watched 5-6 minutes of a guy building a factory off of a main bus, and was like "meh".

I later watched the trailer, and on a bored day played the demo. The demo is really what sold me on the game, and i promptly spent 20$ of my hard earned in the middle of college with two kids money on the game :)

Only about 1200 hours, not as insane as some others, but i also havent even started bobs or angels yet...

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

I've seen the Indiegogo campaign (2013?), went through the demo, got hooked, obtained the game through "other means", played my ass off and bought the full game not a long time later. Playing from time to time ever since, I have no idea how many hours though - I don't play through Steam. Yeah, I can say it, I play Factorio since before it was cool ;)

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

xkcd forums, trailer, hooked.
Dividing playtime between this, Infinifactory, and Opus Magnum :)

ImTheRealSlayer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ImTheRealSlayer »

Wow, i didnt really expect this to gain that much traction!

Thank you for sharing your experiences! I've noticed that some of you tried the demo, like i did. Personally, the Factorio Demo is the best demo i have ever played. You see, the developers deliberatly gave us a generous amount of room to explore, expand and play around with mechanics in the game. After the demo, I went into the game knowing all the early-game basics because of the larger map size in the demo.

Morlow
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Morlow »

I'm pretty sure it was Arumba on YouTube, who I discovered through Quill18's channel. So one or both of them.

MnHebi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MnHebi »

The 2014 trailer. It popped up on my youtube recommendations, and I was instantly hooked.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

I got to know from some forum. I do not remember exactly where, but probably there was some discussion in Kerbal Space Program's forum. I got interested, checked the webpages and when I saw the first trailer I was certain, that I will get totally addicted. I did not even bother to load demo but bought full version instantly.

silenced
Inserter
Inserter

Post by silenced »

Good question, next question.

I think I got hooked by just watching something about and well ... anything that followed is history.

4 years until now, geez!

zombieroboninja
Inserter
Inserter

Post by zombieroboninja »

I think the video by joseph anderson was the first time I heard about the game. The video got me really interested in factorio. So I watched several different twitch streams, and the thing that really struck me was the graphical style. Also the person I was watching was shotgunning trees, so I decided to try out the demo and then bought the game about an hour later.

Return to “General discussion”