Question regarding trains

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Morlow
Inserter
Inserter

Question regarding trains

Post by Morlow »

Hey all, I looked in the Suggestions forum and, surprisingly, didn't find anything about what I am wondering. Are there plans to implement a bridge or tunnel system with railroads so intersections are minimized? Rail is my favorite thing to build in this game but it would be so much cleaner with bridges. Surely this has to be one of the most requested additions. I was just wondering if it is even possible to add to the game.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Question regarding trains

Post by Zavian »

Morlow wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:26 am
Are there plans to implement a bridge or tunnel system with railroads so intersections are minimized
No plans as far as I am aware. (But it gets suggested almost every week).

My personal take is that adding bridges over other rail lines would make hi-throughput junctions much easier to design, which would remove some of the challenge from scaling railways up. I've seen a dual track junction that was rated for around 90 trains per second, which is plenty for most bases.

jamiechi1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jamiechi1 »

I would like to see bridges. Something similar to the early Command and Conquer games would be great.

xZippy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by xZippy »

jamiechi1 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:42 pm
I would like to see bridges. Something similar to the early Command and Conquer games would be great.
I think the landfill already does something like that.

Kinson25
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kinson25 »

It is possible, I found a video of someone doing a train tunnel mod a few weeks ago. He was still working the bugs out, but it looked promising.

thelordodin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by thelordodin »

Its hard/impossible to do it even for devs of factorio engine.

Because it would need to split and recombine trains going into the tunnel.
This would also require teleporting the train partially (by wagons) while keeping it's velocity and keeping it whole (you can stop it in the middle, while locomotive is already undergroud, but cargo wagon is outside).

For mods two (or more) layer train system on the same surface seems totally impossible, because collision system.

Making two or more surfaces is supported by game engine.
Teleporting a train between surfaces, while keeping it moving and connected - IS real challenge for the engine.

Disclamer: I'm not one of devs, all above is just my humble opinion.

Krazykrl
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Krazykrl »

Morlow wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:26 am
Hey all, I looked in the Suggestions forum and, surprisingly, didn't find anything about what I am wondering. Are there plans to implement a bridge or tunnel system with railroads so intersections are minimized? Rail is my favorite thing to build in this game but it would be so much cleaner with bridges. Surely this has to be one of the most requested additions. I was just wondering if it is even possible to add to the game.
Yes, z-level (or pseudo-z-level) for trains is a very requested feature (especially since some devs have contributed to games like OpenTTD). Currently the devs are working on higher-priority things like UPS improvement, and refining existing game systems. IMO train bridges are a low priority compared to rebalancing the pace of the game (science costs), redoing literally the entire user interface, and making fluid systems much more performance friendly.

thelordodin wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:09 pm
Its hard/impossible to do it even for devs of factorio engine.

Because it would need to split and recombine trains going into the tunnel.
This would also require teleporting the train partially (by wagons) while keeping it's velocity and keeping it whole (you can stop it in the middle, while locomotive is already undergroud, but cargo wagon is outside).

For mods two (or more) layer train system on the same surface seems totally impossible, because collision system.

Making two or more surfaces is supported by game engine.
Teleporting a train between surfaces, while keeping it moving and connected - IS real challenge for the engine.

Disclamer: I'm not one of devs, all above is just my humble opinion.
Looking at the history of the devs, I wouldn't throw the word "impossible" around. IMO you wouldn't even need to split a train up, you could conditionally toggle NoCollide for train hitboxes within tiles A to B in train block X, and visually occlude the train in the tunnel via the render system. It's not impossible, it's just a QoL feature when there are more beneficial uses of the devs time currently.

thelordodin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by thelordodin »

Krazykrl wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:28 am
Looking at the history of the devs, I wouldn't throw the word "impossible" around.
I'd be happy if you are right.

Sarai
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Sarai »

I remember seeing something similar to "tunnels no, viaducts possibly" written by a Dev, but for the life of me I can't find it now.

Edit: it was from the Reddit AMA a while ago
🏳️‍🌈🎮

Return to “General discussion”