Start Menu: I'm feeling lucky?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

Most often, do you load a game?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:26 am

Yes - I most often load my last game.
94%
No. New game every time I open Factorio.
6%

Total votes: 33

Audacious
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Start Menu: I'm feeling lucky?

Post by Audacious »

I get the feeling most of us play hours and hours in our map and load in most often the same map.

So why is it, that I have to say: Play -> Load Game -> Load.

It's within the design rule of 3 clicks to reach everywhere, but if what 90% of us are doing is it, then put it at the front

A: I'm feeling lucky at the top or the bottom of the start menu, when you got a last save, wouldn't hurt.

I'm feeling lucky -> Load in last save.

Best regards.

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Start Menu: I'm feeling lucky?

Post by quinor »

"Continue last game" would be a better name. Keep in mind that Factorio is engineered like a CAD software.

Or, rather, on ther right side there could be a box with X last games played both SP and MP so that player could have a very handy shortcut for that.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

Audacious wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:26 am
So why is it, that I have to say: Play -> Load Game -> Load.
Muscle memory has set in, don't change it. (Also, KSP "Start Game" animation is a root canal when I get in a hurry, which isn't very often 'cus it takes my favorite mod pack 40min to load.)
quinor wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:26 pm
Keep in mind that Factorio is engineered like a CAD software.
Really? (Somehow I'm reminded of that scene in Public Enemies where the Dillinger gang, lead by Johnny Depp, claim to be Hollywood recruiting agents when they're not robbing banks.)

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Maybe add attributes -continuelastsession to the link of the game?

Szpak
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Szpak »

Most of the time... I push power button on my Screen and Voila! Factorio is still working, 24/7 :P Then I hit "K" and pray that none of my structures was destroyed. If there are casualities in defense I'm rebuilding them and look for improvements to avoid such i future. If non-defense structures was destroyed, then I have to calculate time needed to rebuild them, do I have blueprints of destroyed structures, is it worth to rebuild them in terms of needed resources or do I just hit Load button of last hard save I've made ;)

I wish you could set any amount of time in panels: electricity, production, kills... 10m, 1h, 10h, 50h.. Those are huge intervals.

Maddhawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Maddhawk »

When I hear of an option like this, I picture clicking the button would generate a new map with completely random variables without any prior preview. Basically a 1 button click from the main menu to get into a brand new game in 1 click.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Maddhawk wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:24 am
When I hear of an option like this, I picture clicking the button would generate a new map with completely random variables without any prior preview. Basically a 1 button click from the main menu to get into a brand new game in 1 click.
Just imagine if you randomize ALL the settings...

On this map, oil and iron are plentiful, but copper doesn't really exist. The biters won't expand, but if you let any pollution touch them, they'll instantly become behemoths. Oh, and by the way, you don't have a starting area.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Maddhawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Maddhawk »

Jap2.0 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:03 pm
Maddhawk wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:24 am
Just imagine if you randomize ALL the settings...

On this map, oil and iron are plentiful, but copper doesn't really exist. The biters won't expand, but if you let any pollution touch them, they'll instantly become behemoths. Oh, and by the way, you don't have a starting area.
Sounds like "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!" Though, it would be rather hard without copper.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

Oh no I'm stuck in forest and I can't move, and it takes an hour to break trees 'cus, 'cus, CUS IT RANDOMIZED MY MOD SETTINGS TOO!!

OC: I don't think No Starting Area is an option, unless it's been modded. No starting area was an option in 0.12 and I lamented its disappearance; it's part of the reason I still run a 0.12 mod pack.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

featherwinglove wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:30 pm
Oh no I'm stuck in forest and I can't move, and it takes an hour to break trees 'cus, 'cus, CUS IT RANDOMIZED MY MOD SETTINGS TOO!!

OC: I don't think No Starting Area is an option, unless it's been modded. No starting area was an option in 0.12 and I lamented its disappearance; it's part of the reason I still run a 0.12 mod pack.
Interesting. I thought it was an option, but I just checked and it isn't.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “General discussion”