Challenge: How many resources /s left in outpost

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
sathill
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Challenge: How many resources /s left in outpost

Post by sathill »

Hello guys. It first i wanna say sorry for my broken english i will try my best to explain in short sentences what i wanna.
I see challenges are popular right now so there is new one.

I wanna info how many resources per second i can take from outpost.
Let me explain. For example map with very big but rare paches. Big minning/oil outpost.
I wanna both ore and fluids (separately) to calculate how much i can take for many production outposts.

Fluids and ores make different problems. I think ores are more hard to do because of minning prod research.
Lets focus on fluids right now.
Situation:
I create neat big refinery with all conversions so final product its only petro.

Lets say i calculate by hand that this outpost can produce 1000 petro/s.
Its all cool and dandy because i plug to this 3 production outpost that take less that 1000 petro/s. Then play for 10 more hours and forgot how many petroleum left to take.

So challenge its to provide solutions (propably combinators) on how many resources left to take for next projects.

All what i come with its blunt solution like calculate by hand how big production its, and by hand how many left to be used somewhere. So set constant combinator on 1000 and then add next combinators with -outpost needs and plug all that to pole to see final signal. This is great and simple. Simple things work flawless in situations of powerloss and overproduction. But maybe there are more complicated but much more fun solutions to that? Remember that production outpost (resource taken) can stop because they overproduce but then they may work again in full glory when needed. Like science. Blue science need petroleum, but when all blue reseach its done before gold research it does not take petro, but after next science production setup its needed again.

So blunt solution its best or there its more to discover?
Anyone?
Coolest and most fun solution wins, it don't need to be efficient or easy to setup (signals between outposts are viable).

Krazykrl
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Challenge: How many resources /s left in outpost

Post by Krazykrl »

Well, the "best" solution is a mod called YARM.

If you want to roll-it-yourself, you probably cannot get better than a combinator contraption.

This could consist of one wired up drill which reads contents of the entire resource deposit
One (or more) combinator timers, which would set a sampling interval
One (or more) combinator memory cells, which store previous counts of the deposit
Some output combinators, which reads the delta resource from the last sampling segment, and can easily calculate how many segments before depletion.

You can, of course, become a magician with the combinator network; and attempt to create a resource monitor (in vanilla Factorio), in which the resource monitor combinators use as few combinators as possible.

I'd suggest more specific challenge parameters. Something like ETD for last minute and 10minute and 60minute interval in the fewest combinators.

Return to “General discussion”