Steam Best Developer nomination

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
liqo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Steam Best Developer nomination

Post by liqo »

I just wanted to nominate Wube Software in the "Best Developer" category in this year's Steam Awards, but unfortunately it seems it hasn't dedicated Steam page. Can you fix it pls until the nominations ends?
factdev.jpg
factdev.jpg (25.44 KiB) Viewed 5131 times

Hamster
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Steam Best Developer nomination

Post by Hamster »

I think it would be better to nominate the game to the:
The “Most Fun with a Machine” Award

hyperTank2
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by hyperTank2 »

why not both?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

hyperTank2 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:22 pm
why not both?
Because one can't select the same game for two different nominations.
If Wube don't configure whatever is needed to be nominated for "the best devs", I'll vote "indefectible love" (or whatever is the English version called).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

psychomuffin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by psychomuffin »

The "Fun with Machine" category makes sense, but I also really like to "Labor of Love" Category. The problem is it seems (IMHO) there are 3 really good categories for Factorio (assuming Wube gets their dev profile on steam up). I would happily vote all three of these if I could, but if I had to choose one, I'd go with Best Developer.

The problem is I can see the factorio votes getting split between these categories, and thus Factorio loses out on all of them.

I think Wube should set up a poll on the website, to tally which category most people like, then we all vote for the one. (unless people think that they can win multiple categories.)

mikiqex
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mikiqex »

C'mon, Wube, set up your creator homepage thru Steam - you really deserve The Best Developer Award!

I tried to nominate Warhorse and Kingdom Come, so it's possible to have Wube and Factorio (in my case for The Most Fun with a Machine Award, as it perfectly matches the description :-)
Last edited by mikiqex on Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

liqo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by liqo »

Yeah there are more than one category that Factorio fits to. Personally I'm going to nominate it GOTY based on the amount of time I've spent with it this year compared to other games <3

Escadin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Escadin »

I had the same problem so I chose the machine thingy award instead.
psychomuffin wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:32 pm
The "Fun with Machine" category makes sense, but I also really like to "Labor of Love" Category. The problem is it seems (IMHO) there are 3 really good categories for Factorio (assuming Wube gets their dev profile on steam up). I would happily vote all three of these if I could, but if I had to choose one, I'd go with Best Developer.
Probably sacrilege to say this out loud around here but 'Labor of Love' is deserved by developers who continue to support their game after release. Factorio EA has been one fantastic ride but it has also been a long one (and is far from over). Imo, that award should go to devs like Running with Scissors who have been releasing DLC and patches for Postal 2 for 15 years.
Alternatively, if this is region locked on your storepage (can't vote but own it lol) you might consider Chucklefish instead. Patching multiplayer into their game (Stardew Valley) 2 years after release... for FREE. That's not something you see every day and I can only imagine how much code they had to rewrite.

On the other hand, I fully expect "Best VR game" to be spammed with votes for Slot Machine: Global Offensive just because - so who cares :D Important thing is Factorio gets an award.

Disclaimer: This is not intended as promotions for either developer or game. Just trying to illustrate what this award should stand for using 2 extreme examples. I only bring up their full names so peopel can fact check.
"--? How are commands compounded in a compounded compound command commanding compound composts." -defines.lua

Gambigobilla
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Gambigobilla »

There are many good game devs out there, but no other game dev even dream to reach the level of factorio devs. Communication with community and actually taking their suggestions into consideration, constant and fast updates & fixes, weekly dev blogs... those are not trivial things. You, my dear chaps, really rock. I salute you and nobody other than factorio devs deserve this developer award even if it's made up and virtual thingy. Please create a developer page on steam and let us pay our gratitude back.

T-A-R
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by T-A-R »

The most fun with machine award feels like made for Factorio. You can interpretate it as vehicle mechanics and physics stuff, but on the other hand, the gameplay experience in Factorio is made by machines, entirely. The machine you made surrounds you, occupies you entirely. You become slave to the machine, sacrificing hours too make it run better faster stronger untill it haunts your dreams. The core is about building and tweaking you ultimate machine satistfying you. Better phisics do not always lead to more fun (to compare Cattle and Crops for example, another game trying to make machine experience. Rocket league seem to have a good chance).

Having a category naming machines is the best chance for Factorio get grab a award. I first voted on labour of love too, but indeed, it is too early for that. They are handling their EA excellent as an example for other devs, But labour of love fits better for post release love. (Like prison architect working on content and multiplayer in a V2.0).
Best developer could fit, but it is to late for that, people allready made votes. Plus i can think other devs for labour of love award, but i do not play any other "fun with machine" candidates anymore. (KSP could be another fun with machine candidate i enjoyed, but i feel very strong that the new devs no not deserve the award someone else worked for.)
And since there is no catergory for best EA game....

Unless a poll does convince me otherwise, ill vote Factorio for Most fun with machine-award this year, and promote for that one since it feel the most logic on second thought.

Barret
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Barret »

I just created this forum account only to reiterate what other people have already said: Please set up your steam delevoper homepage! I would love to nominate you guys for the "Best developer" award.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Barret wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:34 pm
I just created this forum account only to reiterate what other people have already said: Please set up your steam delevoper homepage! I would love to nominate you guys for the "Best developer" award.
Sorry, won't happen :
There is a category this year for 'Best Developer', and many in the community have wanted to nominate us for that category. Unfortunately to be eligible, we would need to have a developer page set up on Steam.

We had some discussions, and decided to wait until we have a final 'Wube Software' logo and theme finalized before setting up a developer page. This means you won't be able to vote for us as best developer this year...
Source : https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-270
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “General discussion”