Easy way to kill biter nests

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
imajor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Easy way to kill biter nests

Post by imajor »

Hi guys,

So what I'm doing is that I set up a factory line producing distractor capsules, then when 100 is produced, I grab all of them, go close to an enemy camp, then start running into the middle of the camp while I place distractor capsules all over the place around me. The 100 capsules are easily enough to destroy even the biggest enemy camp, resulting like 100 alien artifacts. Then I go back, grab another 100 distractor capsules, destroy another camp. Is this supposed to be this easy? I tested the newest version with the tank, but using massive amount of distractor capsules seems to be still mush easier.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Easy way to kill biter nests

Post by DaveMcW »

The first 100 alien artifacts are the easiest.

Then big biters appear and it gets tougher. ;)

imajor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by imajor »

I'm not talking about middle game, I'm talking about end game with big biters everywhere (evolutionfactor is more than 0.95)

Eurofighter1200
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Eurofighter1200 »

Tanks + lots od lasers and posin capsels is a good way for me

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

I still think the modular power armor with shields and the battle shotgun are much better. Research more damage and higher attack rate and you can kill anything with that thing. ^^
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

imajor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by imajor »

I'm not convicted. I have a feeling that I'm not using the distractor capsules the way one supposed to use them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but these should give you temporary help when some aliens are attacking your walls, and for some reason your walls cannot stand the attack. I'm using them whem I'm attacking, and since they are stationary, there is no limit on the number of the active ones. So I can walk into an enemy camp in underpants while throwing distractor capsules everywhere like it was confetti.

Eurofighter1200
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Eurofighter1200 »

Hm nice idea im have to try this but i think these are not supposed to used for attacks

Xecutor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xecutor »

Distractor capsule cost quite a lot of resources, and takes significant amount of time to produce.
It should be at least somewhat effective, right?
However, they seem to me more effective then Destroyer capsules, and that is something to think about.

xnmo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by xnmo »

Destroyer Capsules are actually very effective. They absolutely eviscerate everything so quickly.

Once you can spawn 15-20 of them, and you have shields, exoskeletons and a fully upgraded combat shotgun, you don't even need tactics of any sort. All you need to do is charge straight in and go BLAMBLAMBLAM and everything is dead within seconds. Much easier than futzing about with actually aiming Distractor capsules and using hit and run tactics.

You get 5 Destroyers per capsule vs 3 Distractors, they follow you around, do three times as much damage per shot and less die to biters. The result is that you don't have to spam 10 or more capsules for every base. Destroyers are superior in almost every way. Even you look at it from a cost efficiency standpoint Destoyers are not much worse than Distractors. But if cost efficiency was really your goal you would just laser turret creep with solar power, now wouldn't you?

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

xnmo wrote:Destroyer Capsules are actually very effective. They absolutely eviscerate everything so quickly.

Once you can spawn 15-20 of them, and you have shields, exoskeletons and a fully upgraded combat shotgun, you don't even need tactics of any sort. All you need to do is charge straight in and go BLAMBLAMBLAM and everything is dead within seconds. Much easier than futzing about with actually aiming Distractor capsules and using hit and run tactics.

You get 5 Destroyers per capsule vs 3 Distractors, they follow you around, do three times as much damage per shot and less die to biters. The result is that you don't have to spam 10 or more capsules for every base. Destroyers are superior in almost every way. Even you look at it from a cost efficiency standpoint Destoyers are not much worse than Distractors. But if cost efficiency was really your goal you would just laser turret creep with solar power, now wouldn't you?
Have to agree to this. With destoryers you are only limited by how fast you can move around. Everything is obliterated around you. This is especially the way to go in the end game when you have 5 or more exo skeletons.
Waste of bytes : P

Ohlmann
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ohlmann »

xnmo wrote: Once you can spawn 15-20 of them, and you have shields, exoskeletons and a fully upgraded combat shotgun, you don't even need tactics of any sort

Why all that ? You can launch them from a tank, who is much earlier, have all the durability you can dream of, and a cannon who actually kill bases dead.

xnmo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by xnmo »

Well I haven't played around much with the tank so far, and since it's such a new addition I think it makes sense to at least somewhat ignore it in this discussion. But it does have some marked disadvantages to the "Exoskeleton Shield Destroyer Purple Shell Combat Shotgun" combo. Of course that is a very advanced setup and the tank comes much earlier so I will have to see how useful it is in the midgame before big biters and power armor.

1) Speed. The tank is really slow. It's faster to just carry it in your backpack and take it out just outside the nests, and then it takes a few seconds to put in ammo in every time which is a little annoying. This alone is enough for me to not use it after I get exoskeletons and shields as I want to

2) The cannon's limitations. The cannon is very powerful and has great range, but it doesn't fire fast enough to plow through a whole swarm of biters and blow up their nests, and the ammo isn't too cheap so even if it did fire faster I am not entirely sure if it would be absolutely the best weapon to use. The story would be very different if the shell went through it's targets so it could hit everything behind it though. ;) EDIT: I actually noticed now that if the shell doesn't do its full damage to its target (IE kills it) It will actually keep on going hitting everything in its path it until it either runs out of range or does its full damage! That is bretty kool. It also outranges worms so on a second look the cannon is actually really good :)
As a side note: Do any researches improve cannon damage? Like rocket damage or something? There should definitely be researches to improve cannons.

3) The submachine gun. Since it doesn't benefit from gun turret upgrades it is basically completely useless against big biters even when fully upgraded. A fix for this would to have instead of the submachine gun be as a separate weapon on the tank, to have a gun turret built into the tank itself that would benefit from turret upgrades and fire independently from the players actions even if nobody was in the tank.

3) No combat shotgun! When in the tank you can't use what is clearly the best weapon in the game, so in the tank's immediate implementation that is definitely a downside. This would be fine if the tank was improved in other ways however. Currently it does way more DPS, though it does have a very good range.

This isn't to say that any of those ideas should be implemented in the current tank, but rather a more advanced version that costs much more, or as advanced researches to improve it.

Ohlmann
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ohlmann »

Well, with distractor capsule what use have the combat shotgun ? To shred the biggest target the cannon work very well.

Now, I do hope that an exoskeleton still have its advantage over the much earlier tank. It's just that tank + distractor can already kill pretty big bases with big worms and everything.

Another note : the tank plow through forest almost like if it wasn't here. Which make going to the base much easier.

imajor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by imajor »

xnmo wrote:Destroyer Capsules are actually very effective. They absolutely eviscerate everything so quickly.

Once you can spawn 15-20 of them, and you have shields, exoskeletons and a fully upgraded combat shotgun, you don't even need tactics of any sort.
That is the point. If you want to do what you are suggesting, you need to research a lot of the follower robot count, craft exoskeletons etc... That is pretty expensive. What I was talking about was only distractor capsules, nothing else. You don't need any big research for that.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not suggesting people to use distractor capsules when attacking. I'm trying to point out that there should be some kind of rule which prevent the player from using distractor capsules for attack, because there is no balance now. Like the follower robot count prevents the player from having too much follower attack robots, dealing infinite dps.

Schorty
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schorty »

I think there should also be a limit for distractor capsules. Maybe 2x or 3x follower robot count or something like this
Tired of not being able to reduce the pollution? Try the Air-Filter-Mod
With this, you are able to use the pollution levels in your circuit network: Pollution detector

Xecutor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xecutor »

Distractor capsules are superior to Destroyer capsules when there are A LOT of biters.
Destroyer are firing at closest target. If biters are spawned faster then you can destroy them, destroyers are not helping you to kill the spawner.
You can simply throw 2-3 distractor capsules on top of spawner and walk away, no matter how many biters are around.
You don't even need poison to take care of worms. Distractors can kill them too.

There is one more advantage of Distractors over Destroyers that some people might find odd.
When you start killing nest you spawn some destroyers. Then you kill the nest and most of destroyers
are still there with you. To not waste them you might walk to nearby small nest and kill it.
Then another nearby nest. Then they start to expire in the middle of the fight, and you add more.
And so on. You might end up somewhere far far away from your base without bullets and capsules :)

Dutts
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dutts »

And so on. You might end up somewhere far far away from your base without bullets and capsules :)
Ummm... yep. And then you run like all hell back to base to realize you have on passive setting and hadn't bothered with base defense yet.... keep running into base waiting for silly drones to replenish. :roll:

I'm a fan of poison caps for the worms, combat shotgun with purple shells, armor with single nuke generator and three power shields. Attack smaller bases until you have enough for MkII suit then its all over for the biters.
The red lab or the blue lab?

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

xnmo wrote:The tank is really slow. It's faster to just carry it in your backpack and take it out just outside the nests, and then it takes a few seconds to put in ammo in every time which is a little annoying.
Small thing, but I just discovered I can just ctrl+click an empty slot in my inventory with the tank's inventory open and it'll place ammo and fuel correctly while putting the other items in the trunk, and then just ctrl+click an empty slot in the trunk to get all my items back (excepting the fuel and ammo of course), so that's nice.

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

xnmo wrote: 1) Speed. The tank is really slow. It's faster to just carry it in your backpack and take it out just outside the nests, and then it takes a few seconds to put in ammo in every time which is a little annoying. This alone is enough for me to not use it after I get exoskeletons and shields as I want to
Well, yes, but it can pretty much plow undamaged through a thick forest! I am really loving the tank, there is nothing better than the sound of crunching biters under the tracks. They see me rollin, they dyin... :twisted:

Schorty
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schorty »

torham wrote:Well, yes, but it can pretty much plow undamaged through a thick forest! I am really loving the tank, there is nothing better than the sound of crunching biters under the tracks. They see me rollin, they dyin... :twisted:
Yesterda, I had the same experience, too! This made my day :D
Tired of not being able to reduce the pollution? Try the Air-Filter-Mod
With this, you are able to use the pollution levels in your circuit network: Pollution detector

Return to “General discussion”