10x Challange

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Rhyder
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

10x Challange

Post by Rhyder »

Hello all

So haven't played since version 0.14 (started a map when 0.15 launched but didn't get far).

Anyway, I am back, and want to start a new map. But one thing that annoyed me is how quickly you can go through the research, mainly because I will get new tech while I am still building the automation of the previous 5 techs into my factory.

So, I have made a map with a 10x tech cost. I am now at grey science, and I am liking the effort that you need to put in for each research step but I am starting to get worried about the end'ish game.

Have I shot myself in the foot?
Has anyone done this? can you share your thoughts?
etc

Edit: forgot I cant tell people that I have I time machine (changed 1.14 => 0.14)
Last edited by Rhyder on Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: 10x Challange

Post by darkfrei »

Rhyder wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:59 am
So haven't played since version 1.14 (started a map when 1.15 launched but didn't get far).
Has anyone done this? can you share your thoughts?
Hi, I am from the past and still by version 0.16.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

No, you haven't shot yourself in the foot (assuming you know how to play the game decently well), yes others have done it, no I have not.
(although I too am from the past, so it may have changed by 1.14 or 1.15)
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

Seems to me it'll drastically slow megabase-level research progress but that's about it, and hey, a 1KSPM base ticks through the levels almost embarrassingly fast on vanilla. You'll still be getting 1KSPM research with ~200K total plates/min, it just won't boost your mining productivity or whatever so fast.

I think the only way to really screw yourself is if you can't wipe camps faster than they spawn, and it's not slow research that'd get you in that kind of hole, it'd take no research at all, or similarly bad choices with your tactics.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

The biggest difficulty hump with 10x science is staying ahead of the biter evolution curve. Fire will absolutely annihilate anything that isn't a behemoth(and is super effective against behemoths) while being pretty low tech. Rush fire and you'll be pretty secure for the rest of the game.

Return to “General discussion”